FORT MYERS, Fla. (WLCSports.com) - The Wisconsin Lutheran College baseball team opened its 2017 season with a split in its season-opening doubleheader at the Gene Cusic Classic on Monday, winning game one 8-6 over UW-Stout behind a solid pitching performance from Brock Vredeveld (Waterloo, Wis./Lakeside Lutheran), before dropping game two 11-1 against Washington College. The win was the first for head coach Andy Schwall.
- Scores: Wisconsin Lutheran 8, UW-Stout 6; Washington College 11, Wisconsin Lutheran 1
- Location: Player Development Complex, Fort Myers, Fla.
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (1-1), UW-Stout (2-6), Washington College (5-6)
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- The Warriors took the early lead in the second inning when Brett Jakel (Reeseville, Wis./Waterloo) drove a double down the left field line to plate Ryan Stancl (Bartlett, Ill./South Elgin) and Jake Wiedower (St. Francis, Wis./St. Francis).
- The Blue Devils responded with two runs on three hits in their bottom half of the inning to knot the score at 2-2 after two innings.
- Wisconsin Lutheran regained the lead in the fourth when KJ Banse (Racine, Wis./St. Catherine's) roped a two-RBI single.
- Stout cut the lead in half in the bottom of the fourth with a run but Vredeveld stranded two Blue Devils on the bases.
- WLC received a pair of insurance runs in the fifth after another Jakel RBI and an unearned run after a throwing error by Stout. The Blue Devils got a run back with a sacrifice fly in the sixth and an RBI groundout, but the Warriors led 6-5 after seven innings.
- The Warriors plated two runs in the eighth with an RBI double from Banse and a sac fly from Curtis Engelbrecht (Wisconsin Rapids, Wis./Northland Lutheran).
- WLC's bullpen allowed one run in the eighth but closed the door in the ninth to secure the 8-6 victory.
- Vredeveld recorded the win, allowing four earned runs in 6.0 innings of work. Noah Schriefer (San Diego, Calif./California Lutheran) recorded his first save of the season.
- Banse and Jakel had three RBI and three hits apiece, while Stancl added two hits of his own.
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- Wisconsin Lutheran missed a golden opportunity in the opening inning after a failed squeeze attempt stranded runners at second and third with just one out.
- The Shoremen took a 2-0 lead in the third after an RBI single and throwing error.
- WLC cut the lead in half with a Ryan Michael (Racine, Wis./Lutheran) sac fly in the fourth.
- Washington College responded with two runs on two hits and an error in the next half inning for a 4-1 lead.
- The Shoremen's lead remained 4-1 until the eighth when their offense exploded for five runs to break the game open.
- Dylan Knoespel (Brillion, Wis./Brillion) took the loss in his collegiate debut, allowing two earned runs in 4.0 innings of work. He struckout seven and walked a pair.
- Vredeveld led the Warriors with two hits.
FOR THE FOES
- Matt Emmer and Joel Hollow had three hits to pace the Blue Devils' offense in game one. Paul Danczyk took the loss for Stout, allowing five earned runs on nine hits in 4.2 innings of work.
- Washington College was paced by a dominant 7.0 innings of work from Logan Dubbe and three hits from Aaron Barclay.
- The Warriors are back in action early tomorrow for two more games against Western Connecticut State (2-2) starting at 8:00 a.m. CST.