FORT MYERS, Fla. (WLCSports.com) – Sid Lehman (Theresa, Wis./Mayville) roped a two-RBI triple down the right field line in the sixth inning of game one to lead the Wisconsin Lutheran College baseball team to its second straight split at the Gene Cusic Collegiate Classic on Tuesday morning, defeating Western Connecticut State 7-5 in game one, before dropping the afternoon game 9-2.
- Scores: Wisconsin Lutheran 7, Western Connecticut State 5; Western Connecticut State 9, Wisconsin Lutheran 2
- Location: Terry Park, Fort Myers, Fla.
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (2-2), Western Connecticut State (3-3)
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- The Warriors took the early lead just three batters in after KJ Banse (Racine, Wis./St. Catherine's) singled to centerfield, scoring Brett Jakel (Reeseville, Wis./Waterloo), who led off the game with a walk.
- Kyle Baron (Mukwonago, Wis./Mukwonago) kept the Colonials off the scoreboard until the fourth when they scored three runs on three hits to claim the lead at 3-1.
- Wisconsin Lutheran responded in its half of the inning with a two-RBI single from Colton Tisch (Genoa City, Wis./Badger) to tie the game after four.
- Western Connecticut State posted two runs in the fifth, but WLC evened the score again after a deep RBI double to the right-centerfield gap from Jake Grollo (Menomonee Falls, Wis./Menomonee Falls) and a RBI from Joe Hanson (La Crosse, Wis./Logan).
- The Warriors grabbed the lead for good in the sixth when Lehman sliced a triple into the right field corner to plate two runs and give WLC a 7-5 lead.
- Noah Schriefer (San Diego, Calif./California Lutheran) pitched a scoreless seventh for his second save of the season.
- Baron didn't earn a decision in his start, allowing three earned runs in 4.0 innings of work. Cam Paladines (Oswego, Ill./Oswego) was credited the win in 2.0 innings of relief.
- Lehman and Jake Wiedower (St. Francis, Wis./St. Francis) paced the offense in game one with two hits apiece. The Warriors scored six of their runs with two outs.
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- The Colonials scored two runs with two outs in the opening inning to claim an early 2-0 lead.
- Western Connecticut State broke the game open in the second, scoring six runs on seven hits.
- WLC got on the board with a sac fly from Curtis Engelbrecht (Wisconsin Rapids, Wis./Northland Lutheran) scoring Banse in the third.
- WCSU scored in the third, but WLC answered in the next half inning with Ryan Michael (Racine, Wis./Lutheran) singled to cut the lead to 9-2.
- Banse led the way for WLC with two hits, while Lehman was dealt the loss on the bump.
FOR THE FOES
- EJ Lavoie had three hits and Joel Luna had two hits with two RBI in game one. Matt Fasoli took the loss in 1.2 innings of relief, allowing two runs.
- Clete LoRusso and Frank Vartuli each had two hits. George Bielizna struck out seven in 6.0 innings of work for the Colonials.
- The Warriors continue play at the Gene Cusic Collegiate Classic on Wednesday with a single game against North Park (3-9) at 8:00 a.m. CST at the Player Development Complex.