FORT MYERS, Fla. (WLCSports.com) – A three-run fourth inning in game one lifted the Wisconsin Lutheran College baseball team to a doubleheader split with Lasell, winning game one 7-6 before dropping the afternoon game 3-2 at the Gene Cusic Collegiate Classic on Thursday at Terry Park.
- Scores: Wisconsin Lutheran 7, Lasell 6; Lasell 3, Wisconsin Lutheran 2
- Location: Terry Park, Fort Myers, Fla.
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (3-4), Lasell (3-4)
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- The Lasers took a brief lead in the first with a two-out RBI single to left to get on the scoreboard first.
- The Warriors answered with three runs in their first half inning, capped off by a two-RBI single into right centerfield from Jake Wiedower (St. Francis, Wis./St. Francis).
- Wisconsin Lutheran tacked on an insurance run in the second with an RBI single from KJ Banse (Racine, Wis./St. Catherine's).
- Lasell got a run back in the third on a passed ball, cutting its deficit to 4-2.
- The Warriors used aggressive baserunning to capitalize in the fourth inning and push three runs across the plate.
- Brock Vredeveld (Waterloo, Wis./Lakeside Lutheran) scored on a passed ball, and Banse scored from second as the throw got away from the pitcher covering the plate.
- Later in the inning, Curtis Engelbrecht (Wisconsin Rapids, Wis./Northland Lutheran) scored from second after a throw-behind from the catcher sailed into center.
- The Lasers capitalized on an error from the Warriors to respond with four runs in the fifth to trim WLC's lead to just one.
- Noah Schriefer (San Diego, Calif./California Lutheran) stranded the tying run on third and go-ahead run on second in the seventh inning to secure his third save of the week.
- Ben Veenstra (Evansville, Wis./Evansville) earned his first collegiate win, pitching 4.2 innings and allowing just one earned run. Cam Paladines (Oswego, Ill./Oswego) pitched a critical scoreless 1.1 innings of relief. Banse and Wiedower each recorded two hits to lead the Warriors offense.
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- In a game two pitchers dual, the Lasers struck first with a sac fly in the second inning.
- The Warriors got on the board in the fifth when Vredeveld found the hole between third base and shortshop to push the game to 1-1.
- Lasell answered to take the lead in the bottom of the fifth with a two-RBI single up the middle.
- Engelbrecht led off the Warriors' sixth with a triple deep in the gap of right center and later scored on a sac fly from Ryan Stancl (Bartlett, Ill./South Elgin).
- WLC had the tying run on second in the seventh but was unable to push a run across to tie the game up.
- Jacob Smrz (Milwaukee, Wis./Wisconsin Lutheran) suffered the loss despite a strong outing. Smrz pitched 5.1 innings and allowed three runs. Vredeveld had two hits and two stolen bases for Wisconsin Lutheran.
FOR THE FOES
- In game one, Robert Cutone recorded two hits and three RBI to pace the Lasers offense. Matt Haskel suffered the loss, allowing four runs in just 1.1 innings on the mound.
- Hector Coscione controlled game two for Lasell, tossing a complete game and allowing just five hits. Dom Mascolo recorded two hits.
- The Warriors conclude their nine-game week at the Gene Cusic Collegiate Classic on Friday morning with a game against Dubuque (5-3) at 8:00 a.m. and Bethel (8-3) at 11:00 a.m. CST. A link to live video will be available for game two against the Royals on WLCSports.com.