FORT MYERS, Fla. (WLCSports.com) - The Wisconsin Lutheran College baseball team overcame a 4-1 seventh-inning deficit against Dubuque for a 6-4 win over the Spartans in the first game on its final day of its spring break trip in Florida. The Warriors dropped their final game of the week to Bethel (Minn.), 12-0.
- Scores: Wisconsin Lutheran 6, Dubuque 4; Bethel 12, Wisconsin Lutheran 0
- Location: Player Development Complex, Fort Myers, Fla.
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (4-5), Dubuque (5-5), Bethel (9-3)
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- The Spartans gained an early 4-0 lead over the Warriors in the opener, scoring two runs on a hit and two walks in the first inning, and another two runs on three hits in the second.
- Wisconsin Lutheran cracked the scoring column in the third when Jake Schwall (West Allis, Wis./Wisconsin Lutheran) scored on a two-out wild pitch.
- Trailing 4-1 in the seventh, the Warriors plated three runs to knot the score at 4-4 on RBI singles from KJ Banse (Racine, Wis./St. Catherine's) and Curtis Engelbrecht (Wisconsin Rapids, Wis./Northland Lutheran), and a sac fly from Sid Lehman (Theresa, Wis./Mayville).
- Brannigan Hart (Davie, Fla./Western) gave WLC a 6-4 lead in the bottom of the eighth on a two-run single that plated Jake Wiedower (St. Francis, Wis./St. Francis) and Brock Vredeveld (Waterloo, Wis./Lakeside Lutheran).
- The Warriors' bullpen came through down the stretch as Eric Pascutti (Milwaukee, Wis./Franklin) escaped a jam with runners on second and third a nobody out in the seventh. Cameron Paladines (Oswego, Ill./Oswego) earned the win and moved his record to 2-0 after tossing a scoreless eighth, highlighted by an inning-ending 1-6-3 double-play. Noah Schriefer (San Diego, Calif./California Lutheran) earned his fourth save of the week with a hitless ninth.
- Dylan Knoespel (Brillion, Wis./Brillion) received a no-decision after throwing 6.0 innings and allowing three earned runs.
- Banse, Hart, and Engelbrecht led the Warriors with two hits each in the game.
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- The Royals jumped on the Warriors early, scoring seven runs on seven hits in the first inning.
- Bethel added two runs to its total in the fourth on four hits, and another on an RBI double in the fifth.
- BU's final two runs of the ballgame came in the eighth on back-to-back two-out, run-scoring hits.
- The Warriors were limited to just four hits on the afternoon, including one through the first four innings.
- Kyle Baron (Mukwonago, Wis./Mukwonago) suffered the loss on the mound for WLC.
FOR THE FOES
- Thomas Kempf went 2-for-4 for the Spartans in the first game. Doug Van Dyke suffered the loss in 2.2 innings of relief work, allowing two runs on two hits while striking out four.
- Bryce Marquardt went 3-for-3 with two runs scored and an RBI for the Royals. Four other players added two hits each. Bethel starting pitcher Noah Luedtke struckout eight over 7.0 innings while allowing just three hits to earn the win.
- The Warriors have eight days off before their northern opener next Saturday, March 25 at Illinois Tech (1-9). First pitch of the doubleheader is scheduled for 12:00 p.m. in Chicago.