MEQUON, Wis. (WLCSports.com) - Curtis Engelbrecht's (Wisconsin Rapids, Wis./Northland Lutheran) two-out RBI single in the bottom of the ninth inning broke a 4-4 tie and gave the Wisconsin Lutheran College baseball team a 5-4 victory over Concordia Wisconsin at Kapco Park in game one of its doubleheader on Saturday afternoon. The Falcons won the nightcap over the Warriors, 14-2.
- Scores: Wisconsin Lutheran 5, Concordia Wisconsin 4; Concordia Wisconsin 14, Wisconsin Lutheran 2
- Location: Kapco Park, Mequon, Wis.
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (7-8, 1-1 NACC), Concordia Wisconsin (7-6, 1-1 NACC)
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- The Warriors found themselves looking up at an early deficit as the Falcons scored three runs on two hits in the second inning with a back-to-back RBI single and triple.
- WLC cracked the scoring column with single runs in the second and third innings on a run-scoring double by Ryan Stancl (Bartlett, Ill./South Elgin) and a RBI single by KJ Banse (Racine, Wis./St. Catherine's).
- CUW added one more run to its lead in the fifth on a single up the middle for a 4-2 lead.
- In the bottom of the fifth, the Warriors scored another run on a double off the bat of Jake Wiedower (St. Francis, Wis./St. Francis).
- Banse tied the score at 4-4 in the seventh with a two-out triple that plated Brett Jakel (Reeseville, Wis./Waterloo).
- The Warriors escaped a pair of jams in the eighth and ninth innings behind strong relief efforts from Spencer Michaelis (Wauwatosa, Wis./East) and Noah Schriefer (San Diego, Calif./California Lutheran) to keep the score deadlocked at 4-4.
- The Warriors had a runner in scoring position with just one out in the ninth after Colton Tisch (Genoa City, Wis./Badger) drew a leadoff walk and was sacrificed to second. After CUW recorded the second out and intentionally walked Banse, Engelbrecht drove a single to left that scored Tisch without a throw and secured a win for the Warriors.
- Banse and Stancl led the Warriors with two hits each, as WLC finished with nine for the game.
- Noah Schriefer earned the win for the Warriors and remained unscored upon in seven appearances this season. Dylan Knoespel (Brillion, Wis./Brillion) received a no-decision after throwing a strong 7.1 innings and striking out six.
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- The Falcons opened the second game with two quick runs on a pair of hits in the first.
- CUW padded its lead with four runs in the fourth inning on five hits, one of which was a solo home run by Matt Schubert.
- Tisch got the Warriors on the board in the fifth on a two-out, two-RBI single for a 6-2 deficit.
- Schubert smacked his second home run of the game in the seventh inning, giving Concordia Wisconsin the 9-2 lead.
- The Falcons put the game out of reach with a five-run ninth inning for a 14-2 final score.
- Stancl and Jake Schwall (West Allis, Wis./Wisconsin Lutheran) each had two hits in the nightcap to lead the Warriors, who had nine hits for the game.
FOR THE FOES
- Schubert and Justin Barney had two hits each to lead the Falcons in game one. Brett Kolacki suffered the loss in 1.2 innings of relief work, allowing an earned run on two hits.
- In game two, Schubert went 2-for-4 with four RBI and three runs scored for CUW, while Matt Luft went 4-for-5 with three RBI and two runs. Alex Prickett allowed just two earned runs on six hits in 6.0 innings to earn the win on the mound.
- The Warriors travel to Watertown for a non-conference doubleheader on Tuesday to face Maranatha (1-8). The first game is set to start at 3:00 p.m.