MILWAUKEE (WLCSports.com) – The Wisconsin Lutheran College baseball team's home-opening doubleheader was spoiled by visiting Rockford on Saturday afternoon, as the Regents won both games over the Warriors by scores of 6-4 and 6-5 at a sun-soaked Neumann Family Field.
- Scores: Rockford 6, Wisconsin Lutheran 4; Rockford 6, Wisconsin Lutheran 5
- Location: Neumann Family Field, Milwaukee, Wis.
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (7-10, 1-3 NACC), Rockford (10-10, 3-3 NACC)
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- The Regents capitalized on a leadoff error and held a 1-0 lead just two batters into the game.
- WLC answered with four runs in the second inning on two hits. Brannigan Hart (Davie, Fla./Western) and Colton Tisch (Genoa City, Wis./Badger) recorded RBIs in the frame.
- RU rallied in the third inning to score two runs and cut the deficit to one, 4-3.
- The Regents took the lead in the fifth with back-to-back two-out RBI hits to jump ahead 5-4.
- Rockford tacked on an insurance run in the eighth on a two-out Warriors throwing error.
- The Warriors were held scoreless for the final seven innings of play with five innings facing the minimum.
- Dylan Knoespel (Brillion, Wis./Brillion) suffered the loss in the opening game, pitching 7.0 innings and giving up four earned runs.
- Hart led the Warriors offense with two hits, while Jake Schwall (West Allis, Wis./Wisconsin Lutheran) and Sid Lehman (Theresa, Wis./Mayville) recorded the only other hits in the game for WLC.
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- RU scored right away in the first and tacked on a pair of runs in both the third and fourth to take an early 5-0 lead.
- The Warriors chipped away in the fourth with a two-out, two-RBI double just inside the left field line by Kasey Zdroik (Plainfield, Wis./Tri-County).
- Rockford got one of those runs back in the next half inning on a RBI double.
- WLC used another two-out, two-RBI double off the bat of Curtis Engelbrecht (Wisconsin Rapids, Wis./Northland Lutheran) to cut its deficit to 6-4.
- The Warriors scored a run on a failed pickoff attempt in the sixth but had the tying run thrown out at the plate on a wild pitch.
- Wisconsin Lutheran had an opportunity in the seventh to tie or take the lead, but left the bases loaded.
- Kyle Baron (Mukwonago, Wis./Mukwonago) took the loss, allowing four earned runs in 4.1 innings of work.
- Hart recorded two hits in the nightcap to lead the offense. Five other Warriors recorded a hit each.
FOR THE FOES
- Joseph Valdez improved his record to 4-1, allowing three earned runs of four hits. Seven Regents starters recorded at least one hit in the first game of the twinbill.
- In game two, five Regents registered a multi-hit game. Dalton Morris earned his first win on the mound in 5.0 innings of work.
- The Warriors return to action on Sunday afternoon for a NACC twinbill against Dominican (5-14, 0-6 NACC) at Boomers Stadium in Schaumburg, Ill. First pitch is scheduled for Noon. WLC and DU split their doubleheader a season ago at Boomers Stadium. Links to live stats and video will be available for both games at WLCSports.com.