SCHAUMBURG, Ill. (WLCSports.com) – Joe Hanson (La Crosse, Wis./Logan) hit two home runs to power the Wisconsin Lutheran College baseball team to a 9-4 victory over Dominican in the nightcap of its doubleheader on Sunday afternoon. The Stars won the opening game 7-3 to earn the split in the twinbill at Boomers Stadium.
- Scores: Dominican 7, Wisconsin Lutheran 3; Wisconsin Lutheran 9, Dominican 4
- Location: Boomers Stadium, Schaumburg, Ill.
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (8-11, 2-4 NACC), Dominican (6-15, 1-7 NACC)
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- The Stars capitalized on a hit-by-pitch and a first-inning error to claim an early 1-0 lead.
- DU added a pair of runs in the second to take a 3-0 lead.
- WLC got on the board in the fifth with a sacrifice fly from Brett Jakel (Reeseville, Wis./Waterloo) to score Ryan Stancl (Bartlett, Ill./South Elgin) and a RBI single from Colton Tisch (Genoa City, Wis./Badger) to plate Jake Schwall (West Allis, Wis./Wisconsin Lutheran).
- The hosts broke the game open in their half of the fifth, scoring four runs, three of which were unearned.
- The Warriors offense was stagnant until a solo blast from KJ Banse (Racine, Wis./St. Catherine's) cut the deficit to 7-3 in the eighth.
- Curtis Engelbrecht (Wisconsin Rapids, Wis./Northland Lutheran) suffered the loss while allowing seven runs, three earned, in 4.2 innings of work. Sid Lehman (Theresa, Wis./Mayville) pitched 3.1 scoreless innings out the pen for WLC.
- Banse and Stancl led the Warriors with three hits apiece, and Tisch added two hits of his own. The Warriors out-hit the Stars 11-10 in the opener, but three WLC errors proved costly.
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- Wisconsin Lutheran used a five-run rally with two outs to jump out to a quick start in the nightcap. Lehman singled past the Stars' third baseman to plate Banse, Jake Wiedower (St. Francis, Wis./St. Francis) singled past a diving second baseman for a RBI, and Hanson blasted a three-run homer to end the inning.
- The Warriors kept the pressure on in the second with two more runs as Gunner Amelunk (Wales, Wis./Kettle Moraine) scored on a wild pitch and Banse picked up a RBI on a sac fly.
- DU got on a board in the second with a towering home run from Matt Segovia to cut the Warriors' lead to 7-1.
- In the third, Hanson blasted his second home run in as many at-bats off the scoreboard in left center to get the run back for WLC.
- The Stars scored a run in both the fourth and fifth, but WLC maintained its lead at 8-3.
- A sacrifice fly cut the lead to 8-4, but a RBI single from Brannigan Hart (Davie, Fla./Western) gave WLC an insurance run in the eighth.
- Spencer Michaelis (Wauwatosa, Wis./East) earned his second win by dealing 7.0 innings and allowing just three earned runs on eight hits. Seven Warriors recorded a hit in the contest, led by Hanson's three and four RBI.
FOR THE FOES
- Daniel Supple improved his record to 3-1 on the year while allowing just one earned run in 8.0 innings on the mound in game one. Matt Segovia had three hits to pace the Stars' offense.
- In game two, Colton Malich suffered the loss, pitching 3.0 innings and allowing eight runs on seven hits. Frankie Sessa was the only Stars player to record multiple hits in the contest.
- The Warriors return to action on Tuesday afternoon for a single non-conference game against Carroll (5-16) at Frame Park in Waukesha. First pitch is scheduled for 3:00 p.m. The Warriors swept a doubleheader last year from the Pioneers in Milwaukee.