LISLE, Ill. (WLCSports.com) – After moving its home doubleheader south to Benedictine, the Wisconsin Lutheran College baseball team dropped its third straight game and suffered a sweep at the hands of the Eagles by scores of 12-2 in seven innings and 7-3 on Saturday afternoon at the Sports Complex.
- Scores: Benedictine 12, Wisconsin Lutheran 2 (7 inn.); Benedictine 7, Wisconsin Lutheran 3
- Location: The Sports Complex, Lisle, Ill.
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (8-14, 2-6 NACC), Benedictine (15-10, 7-3 NACC)
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- The Warriors got on the board first with a two-out RBI single to left from Curtis Engelbrecht (Wisconsin Rapids, Wis./Northland Lutheran) in the first inning.
- BenU answered with two runs in the second inning to take the lead and then stranded the bases loaded in WLC's bottom half of the inning to maintain the lead.
- The Eagles scored runs from the second to the sixth innings to break the game open at 12-1 heading into the bottom of the sixth.
- Benedictine's Frank Greco cruised through the middle innings until WLC got a run back in the bottom of the sixth on a RBI single from Jake Schwall (West Allis, Wis./Wisconsin Lutheran) past a diving third baseman to plate Joe Hanson (La Crosse, Wis./Logan).
- Dylan Knoepsel (Brillion, Wis./Brillion) suffered the loss, allowing four earned runs over 4.0 innings of work.
- Five different Warriors recorded hits in the opener. BenU out-hit WLC 14-5 and capitalized on five WLC errors.
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- The Eagles cracked the scoring column first with a two-run second inning on three hits and stranded three Warriors on base during the bottom half of the frame.
- BenU extended its lead with a two-out RBI from Tanner Kiser in the top of the third and plated two more runs in the fourth to push its lead to 5-0.
- Another RBI from Kiser gave the Eagles a 6-0 lead in the seventh.
- Wisconsin Lutheran cut the deficit in half with a bases-clearing double from Brannigan Hart (Davie, Fla./Western) in the seventh.
- An unearned run in the eighth pushed BenU's lead to 7-3.
- Spencer Michaelis (Wauwatosa, Wis./East) took the loss in game two, allowing five runs in 6.0 innings.
- Hart and Jake Wiedower (St. Francis, Wis./St. Francis) each recorded two hits to pace the Warriors offense.
FOR THE FOES
- Reigning NACC Freshman of the Year, Frank Greco, improved to 6-0 after allowing just two runs on five hits in 6.0 innings of work. Tanner Kiser went 4-for-5 with two RBI, and Andrew Hotze and Erik Callaghan knocked out solo home runs.
- In game two, Ryan Miller earned the win, pitching 6.2 innings without allowing an earned run. Four Eagles recorded multiple hits, led by Kiser and Jack Feeley with two RBI each.
- The Warriors return to action on Monday afternoon for a showdown in Chicago against NACC-leading Concordia Chicago (17-10, 9-1 NACC). First pitch of the doubleheader is scheduled for 1:00 p.m. The Cougars, who swept last season's series in Milwaukee, are coming off a split against Concordia Wisconsin on Saturday afternoon in Mequon. Links to live stats and video will be available for the games at WLCSports.com.