MILWAUKEE (WLCSports.com) - The Wisconsin Lutheran College baseball team received a pair of strong pitching performances from Ben Veenstra (Evansville, Wis./Evansville) and Jacob Smrz (Milwaukee, Wis./Wisconsin Lutheran) to secure its first sweep of the season and snap its five-game losing streak on Tuesday against Maranatha at Neumann Family Field. The Warriors won both games of the doubleheader over the Sabercats by identical 5-2 scores.
- Scores: Wisconsin Lutheran 5, Maranatha 2; Wisconsin Lutheran 5, Maranatha 2
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (10-16), Maranatha (2-21)
- Location: Neumann Family Field, Milwaukee, Wis.
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- The Warriors grabbed a 2-0 first-inning lead after Jake Wiedower (St. Francis, Wis./St. Francis) belted his first home run of the season to left, scoring Gunner Amelunk (Wales, Wis./Kettle Moraine), who led off the game with a single.
- Johnny Offenbacher (Waukesha, Wis./Wisconsin Lutheran) put Wisconsin Lutheran ahead 3-0 in the second with a sac fly to left that scored Brett Jakel (Reeseville, Wis./Waterloo).
- The Sabercats took advantage of a Warriors error in the third to plate their first run of the game, but the Warriors stranded the bases loaded and escaped further damage.
- WLC scored its fourth and fifth runs of the game in the third on a KJ Banse (Racine, Wis./St. Catherine's) two-run double that plated Wiedower and Amelunk for a 5-1 lead.
- Maranatha tallied its final run in the sixth on a RBI single, but once again left the bases loaded and the Warriors came away with the three-run win.
- Five different players recorded a hit each in the game, as Banse and Wiedower drove in two runs. Veenstra pitched 6.0 innings, scattering 10 hits and giving up two runs (one earned) to improve to 2-0 on the season. Wiedower retired the side in order in the ninth, fanning two of the three batters he faced for his first career save.
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- The Sabercats loaded the bases in the first but the Warriors turned their first of three game-two double plays to keep the visitors off the scoreboard.
- Wisconsin Lutheran again struck first in the opening frame when Wiedower's sac fly scored Amelunk for a 1-0 lead.
- Maranatha took its first lead of the day three innings later on a two-out, two-run single.
- MBU's lead didn't last for long as WLC scored runs run in the bottom of the fourth on RBI singles from Ryan Michael (Racine, Wis./Lutheran), Amelunk, and Wiedower for a 4-2 advantage.
- The Warriors added their final run in the fifth when Kasey Zdroik (Plainfield, Wis./Tri-County) led off the inning with a solo home run, the first of his career.
- Zdroik went 3-for-4 with a RBI and a run scored for the Warriors, who tallied 13 hits for the game. Smrz won his first game of the season after working 6.0 innings and giving up just one earned run. He also struckout six. Banse collected his first career save after tossing a scoreless seventh.
FOR THE FOES
- Caleb Courtney, Wes Wagner, and Micah Shepard each went 2-for-4 in the opener for Maranatha. Wagner allowed five runs on three hits in 3.0 innings to suffer the loss.
- Caleb Courtney and Caleb Huthmaker had two hits each in the nightcap for MBU. Clint Matheis gave up five runs in 4.1 innings to take the defeat.
- The Warriors return to conference play on Saturday when they host cross-town NACC foe MSOE (16-11, 7-3 NACC) for Senior Day at Neumann Family Field. First pitch is scheduled for 12:00 p.m. WLC is looking to snap a four-game losing streak to the Raiders. Listen to the live audio broadcast for both games at WLCSports.com.