MILWAUKEE (WLCSports.com) – The Wisconsin Lutheran College baseball team celebrated Senior Day with its fourth straight win and first NACC series sweep of the season by defeating cross-town rival MSOE by scores of 10-2 and 6-4 at Neumann Family Field on Saturday afternoon.
- Scores: Wisconsin Lutheran 10, MSOE 2; Wisconsin Lutheran 6, MSOE 4
- Location: Neumann Family Field, Milwaukee, Wis.
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (12-16, 4-8 NACC), MSOE (16-13, 7-5 NACC)
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- The Warriors offense exploded for five runs on four hits in the opening frame, highlighted by RBIs from Curtis Engelbrecht (Wisconsin Rapids, Wis./Northland Lutheran) and Kasey Zdroik (Plainfield, Wis./Tri-County). Three runs were also scored on an error by the Raiders' centerfielder.
- Both pitchers settled in and cruised through the middle innings until the Raiders got on the board with a two-RBI single down the right field line to cut the Warriors' lead to 6-2.
- Wisconsin Lutheran gained a pair of insurance runs in the seventh with a RBI double from Engelbrecht and a RBI from Jake Wiedower (St. Francis, Wis./St. Francis).
- The Warriors used RBI singles from KJ Banse (Racine, Wis./St. Catherine's) and Zdroik, and a bases loaded walk from Wiedower to put a three-spot on the scoreboard in the bottom of the eighth to break the game open at 10-2.
- Dylan Knoespel (Brillion, Wis./Brillion) earned his first conference win and improved his record to 2-3 on the season in 7.0 innings of work, allowing just two runs on seven hits.
- Seven different Warriors recorded hits, paced by four apiece from Engelbrecht and Zdroik. Colton Tisch (Genoa City, Wis./Bader) added three hits of his own.
- The Warriors out-hit the potent Raiders offense 17-7 in the opener.
- WLC honored its two seniors, Noah Schriefer (San Diego, Calif./California Lutheran) and Ryan Stancl (Bartlett, Ill./South Elgin), prior to the start of the game.
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- Neither team got much going offensively in the early innings until MSOE broke into the scoring column with a RBI on an infield single for a 1-0 lead in the third.
- The hosts responded quickly with four runs in the bottom of the frame. The scoring started with another RBI from Engelbrecht. Stancl roped a single to center to plate two more runs. Wiedower slapped a single to right field to conclude the scoring run and put Wisconsin Lutheran on top at 4-1.
- The Raiders scored single runs in the fifth, sixth, and seventh innings to knot the game up at 4-4.
- WLC took the lead for good in the eighth with two runs. Jake Schwall (West Allis, Wis./Wisconsin Lutheran) dropped down a bunt single on a squeeze play to plate Gunner Amelunk (Wales, Wis./Kettle Moraine) to take the load. Schwall later came around to score on a RBI double from Banse to center field.
- Schriefer shut the door with a three-up, three-down inning in the ninth to secure his NACC-leading sixth save of the year.
- Spencer Michaelis (Wauwatosa, Wis./East) did not receive a decision while allowing only one earned run on nine hits in 6.0 innings of work. Cameron Paladines (Oswego, Ill./Oswego) earned his second win of the season in 2.0 scoreless innings of relief.
- The Warriors pounded out 11 hits, paced by two from Brannigan Hart (Davie, Fla./Western), Banse, and Schwall.
FOR THE FOES
- Garrett Willems led the Raiders' attack in the opener with two hits and two RBI. Jacob Roley suffered the loss while allowing four earned runs on 10 hits in 6.0 innings on the mound.
- Sam Crawford suffered the loss in the night cap, allowing two runs in 1.1 innings of relief. Michael Boehmer did not receive a decision after 6.0 innings on the rubber. DJ Ellifson had three hits to lead the Raiders' offense, who had 10 hits in the game.
- The Warriors return to action on Sunday afternoon with a doubleheader at Lakeland (10-18, 2-10 NACC) scheduled for Noon. The Muskies, who have lost six straight, split the series with WLC last season in Milwaukee. Links to live stats and video will be available at WLCSports.com.