PLYMOUTH, Wis. (WLCSports.com) – The Wisconsin Lutheran College baseball team used a seven-run third inning in game two of a NACC doubleheader against Lakeland to win the night cap by a score of 15-13. The Muskies took game one on Sunday afternoon at Muskie Baseball Field, 9-1.
- Scores: Lakeland 9, Wisconsin Lutheran 1; Wisconsin Lutheran 15, Lakeland 13
- Location: Muskie Baseball Field, Plymouth, Wis.
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (13-17, 5-9 NACC), Lakeland (11-19, 3-11 NACC)
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- The Warriors had a chance to take an early lead in the first inning, but Lakeland escaped a bases-loaded, no-out jam without allowing a run.
- The Muskies capitalized on an error by Wisconsin Lutheran in the second to break into the scoring column at 1-0.
- LU gained some separation in the third with three runs, highlighted by a two-run home run from Travis Regalado for a 4-0 advantage. Lakeland got another run in the fifth on a RBI single to left.
- The Warriors got on the board in the sixth with a two-out RBI double from Kasey Zdroik (Plainfield, Wis./Tri-County).
- The Muskies broke the game open in the seventh with four runs on two hits and an error to take a 9-1 lead.
- Curtis Engelbrecht (Wisconsin Rapids, Wis./Northland Lutheran) suffered the loss, allowing four earned runs in 2.2 innings on the bump. Brannigan Hart (Davie, Fla./Western) and Jake Wiedower (St. Francis, Wis./St. Francis) paced the Warriors' offense with two hits apiece.
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- The Warriors' bats came out hot in game two, erupting for four runs in the opening frame. Zdroik ripped a two-RBI double down the left field line, Joe Hanson (La Crosse, Wis./Logan) plated Zdroik with a blooper that fell in front of the second basemen, and Ryan Michael (Racine, Wis./Lutheran) plated Hanson on a RBI single.
- The hosts got a run back on a bases-loaded walk in the first to cut the lead to 4-1.
- Engelbrecht roped a single in the second for a RBI to give WLC the 5-1 advantage.
- The Warriors momentarily broke the game open in the third with seven runs on six hits. Michael, Wiedower, Engelbrecht, Zdroik, and KJ Banse (Racine, Wis./St. Catherine's) all recorded RBIs in the frame. Wisconsin Lutheran pushed the lead to 14-1 in the fifth with RBIs from Jake Schwall (West Allis, Wis./Wisconsin Lutheran) and Michael.
- Lakeland stormed back in its half of the fifth, scoring seven runs on seven hits, all with two outs. The Muskies cut the lead to 14-9 with a run in the sixth.
- Schwall recorded his second RBI of the game in the seventh with a line drive single to left to plate Engelbrecht.
- Lakeland scored two runs in the seventh and another in the ninth, but the comeback fell short as Jacob Smrz (Milwaukee, Wis./Wisconsin Lutheran) closed the door for his first career save.
- Kyle Baron (Mukwonago, Wis./Mukwonago) earned his first win of the season, allowing just one earned run in 5.0 innings of work. The Warriors pounded out 16 hits, highlighted by multi-hit and multi-RBI games from Wiedower, Engelbrecht, Zdroik, Schwall, and Michael. Hanson added three hits with a RBI.
FOR THE FOES
- Connor Hillburn improved his record to 3-3 overall in 7.0 innings of nine-hit ball. Three different Muskies recorded multi-hit games.
- Jack Banks suffered the loss in game two, allowing six runs in 2.0 innings on the hill. Regalado recorded five hits in the night cap.
- The Warriors return to action on Wednesday afternoon for a non-conference contest against North Central (Ill.) (15-12) at Neumann Family Field. First pitch is scheduled for 3:30 p.m. A live audio broadcast will be available at WLCSports.com.