MEQUON, Wis. (WLCSports.com) - The Wisconsin Lutheran College baseball team secured a pivotal Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference sweep over Marian on Tuesday at Kapco Park, defeating the Sabres by scores of 4-3 and 4-2 to remain in the thick of the conference tournament race with just two games remaining.
- Scores: Wisconsin Lutheran 4, Marian 3; Wisconsin Lutheran 4, Marian 2
- Location: Kapco Park, Mequon, Wis.
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (16-18, 8-10 NACC), Marian (11-24, 5-13 NACC)
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- The Sabres scored quickly in the opener, scoring a run on a wild pitch in the bottom of the first after a leadoff triple for a 1-0 lead.
- The Warriors answered with their first two runs in the top of the third on a KJ Banse (Racine, Wis./St. Catherine's) sacrifice fly to center and a Curtis Engelbrecht (Wisconsin Rapids, Wis./Northland Lutheran) RBI single to left.
- Marian jumped back in front in the fourth with a two-RBI single, giving the Sabers a 3-2 lead.
- WLC regained the lead for good in the top of the fifth, 4-2, on another RBI single by Engelbrecht and a fielder's choice by Kasey Zdroik (Plainfield, Wis./Tri-County).
- Wisconsin Lutheran kept Marian off the scoreboard over the final 5.0 innings, stranding a runner on base in each frame.
- Jacob Smrz (Milwaukee, Wis./Wisconsin Lutheran) earned the win, allowing zero runs in 2.0 innings of relief for Engelbrecht. Noah Schriefer (San Diego, Calif./California Lutheran) picked up his seventh save of the season for the Warriors after striking out two in the ninth.
- Jake Wiedower (St. Francis, Wis./St. Francis) collected three hits, while Brannigan Hart (Davie, Fla./Western), Zdroik, and Engelbrecht each had two to lead the 13-hit parade for Wisconsin Lutheran.
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- The Sabres struck again quickly in the nightcap, scoring a run in the bottom of the first inning on a RBI groundout for a 1-0 lead.
- Banse evened the game at 1-1 in the third on a two-out RBI single up the middle that plated Colton Tisch (Genoa City, Wis./Badger).
- After two scoreless innings, Marian went ahead 2-1 in the fifth following a sacrifice fly.
- After stranding runners on base in five of their first seven innings, the Warriors took a two-run lead in the eighth on a Wiedower bases-loaded walk, a Ryan Michael (Racine, Wis./Lutheran) RBI single, and a Jake Schwall (West Allis, Wis./Wisconsin Lutheran) hit-by-pitch. WLC had a chance to break the game open, but left three runners on base with just one out.
- Noah Schriefer escaped a ninth-inning jam to earn his second win of the season. He tossed the final 3.1 innings and allowed three hits while striking out four.
- Wiedower had three hits again in game two to pace the Warriors, while Tisch, Banse, and Michael had two hits apiece.
FOR THE FOES
- Kellen Shea suffered the game one loss for Marian, allowing four runs on 11 hits in 4.1 innings. Tommy Dugandzic had three hits in the game for the Sabres.
- Jordon Bock was dealt the loss in relief for the Sabres in game two, allowing two runs on three hits in 2.0 innings. Jake Arens had three hits for Marian in the nightcap.
- The Warriors travel to Montgomery, Ill., on Saturday for their final NACC doubleheader of the season against Aurora (22-14, 11-7 NACC). First pitch is slated for 12:00 p.m. at Stuart Sports Complex. Links to live stats and video will be available at WLCSports.com.