MONTGOMERY, Ill. (WLCSports.com) - The Wisconsin Lutheran College baseball team concluded its 2017 season Saturday afternoon with a pair of tough defeats against Aurora, dropping game one, 9-3, and game two, 9-1, at the Stuart Sportsplex. The Warriors finish their 2017 season 16-21 overall and 8-12 in the NACC for the fourth straight year.
- Scores: Aurora 9, Wisconsin Lutheran 3; Aurora 9, Wisconsin Lutheran 1
- Location: Stuart Sportsplex, Montgomery, Ill.
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (16-21, 8-12 NACC), Aurora (24-14, 13-7 NACC)
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- Both teams had opportunities in the opening innings as both provided base runners in each of the first four innings but neither could push a run across.
- The Warriors were the first to crack the scoring column when Curtis Engelbrecht (Wisconsin Rapids, Wis./Northland Lutheran) ripped a two-out double down the right field line to unload the bases with Brett Jakel (Reeseville, Wis./Waterloo), Jake Schwall (West Allis, Wis./Wisconsin Lutheran), and KJ Banse (Racine, Wis./St. Catherine's) for a 3-0 lead.
- AU answered right back in its half with four runs which all started off with a solo blast from Jeff Woods. The Spartans led 4-3 after five innings.
- The hosts gained some separation with two more runs in the sixth to push their lead to 6-3. A sacrifice fly in the seventh and two-run double in the eighth gave Aurora the 9-3 advantage.
- Dylan Knoespel (Brillion, Wis./Brillion) suffered the loss, allowing four runs, two of which were earned, in 4.2 innings.
- Engelbrecht led the Warriors with three hits. Jakel and Brannigan Hart (Davie, Fla./Western) added two hits apiece. The Warriors were hindered by six errors in the opener.
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- The Warriors struck first with a run on an Engelbrecht sac fly in the opening frame for a 1-0 lead.
- The Spartans were held off the board until the fourth inning when they pounded out four hits and two runs to take the 2-1 lead.
- Aurora added two runs in the fifth and another in the sixth for a 5-1 cushion.
- AU broke the game open in the seventh with four runs on four hits but left the bases loaded to take the 9-1 lead.
- Spencer Michaelis (Wauwatosa, Wis./East) dropped his second game of the season, allowing four runs on 11 hits in 5.0 innings. Hart and Colton Tisch (Genoa City, Wis./Badger) paced the Warriors with two hits each.
FOR THE FOES
- Elias McMahon earned his second win of the season in 5.1 innings with three runs allowed, but none earned. Jeff Woods went 5-for-5 with three RBI in the opener.
- Woods improved his record to 4-1 in 6.0 innings of four-hit ball in game two. Four different Spartans recorded multi-hit games. AU out-hit Wisconsin Lutheran 17-6 in the nightcap.