LOVES PARK, Ill. (WLCSports.com) - The Wisconsin Lutheran College baseball team split a Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference doubleheader with Rockford Saturday afternoon at Rivets Stadium. The Warriors won the opener, 8-4, before the Regents held on in game two, 8-4.
- Final Scores: Wisconsin Lutheran 8, Rockford 4; Rockford 8, Wisconsin Lutheran 4
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (10-21, 7-9 NACC), Rockford (14-16, 8-5 NACC)
- Location: Rivets Stadium, Loves Park, Ill.
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- WLC started out hot, scoring two runs on a Jake Constien (Sun Prairie, Wis.) single up the middle, and another run on Joe Hanson's (La Crosse, Wis.) single through the left side.
- The Warriors scored another two runs in the second off a Brett Jakel (Reeseville, Wis.) single to right field and a KJ Banse (Racine, Wis.) sacrifice fly to center.
- After another Banse sacrifice fly to center in the fourth, the Warriors scored two more runs in the fifth after Jakel smacked another RBI single and Banse was hit by a pitch.
- The Regents responded in the fifth scoring two runs off three hits.
- Rockford scratched across two more runs in the sixth and ninth, but it wasn't enough as the Warriors took game one, 8-4.
- Brock Vredeveld (Waterloo, Wis.) went 5-for-6, while Johnny Offenbacher (Waukesha, Wis.) and Jakel had two hits apiece.
- Jake Wiedower (St. Francis, Wis.) earned the victory in 6.0 innings of work, allowing three runs on seven hits while striking out five. Levi Schriefer (San Diego, Calif.) tallied the three inning save, his first of the season.
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- The Warriors jumped out to an early 2-0 lead in game two, as Brannigan Hart (Davie, Fla.) was hit by a pitch and Wiedower walked.
- Rockford put up two runs of its own in the first off two singles and loaded the bases with nobody out, but the Warriors limited any further damage.
- The Regents took the lead in the fifth inning, when Michael Tosado hit an RBI single up the middle.
- In the seventh, WLC tied the game at 3-3 after Curtis Engelbrecht (Wisconsin Rapids, Wis.) hit a sacrifice fly to center.
- Rockford regained the lead with a sacrifice fly in the seventh.
- RU added to its total in the eighth inning, scoring three runs off four hits.
- Ryan Michael (Racine, Wis.) hit an RBI single in the ninth, but the Warriors fell short in game two.
- Jakel went 4-for-5 to lead the Warriors, while Vredeveld and Banse had two hits each.
- Spencer Michaelis (Wauwatosa, Wis.) suffered the loss, allowing two runs on five hits while striking out two and walking a pair in 6.0 innings of relief work.
FOR THE FOES
- Kyle Waugh was 3-for-4 at the plate in game one for the Regents. Spencer Lentz suffered the loss in 4.0 innings of work, allowing six runs (five earned) on nine hits while striking out four and walking two.
- Tosado, Austin Smith, and Jacob Rillamas were 3-for-4 in game two for RU. Zachary Jones earned the victory, allowing three runs on eight hits while striking out four and walking one in 7.0 innings of work. Christian Dahlstrom collected the two-inning save.
- The Warriors are finally back home tomorrow when they host MSOE (18-16, 8-6 NACC) in a crucial NACC doubleheader at Neumann Family Field beginning at 12:00 p.m. Live audio and stats will be available for both games at WLCSports.com.