MILWAUKEE (WLCSports.com) - The Wisconsin Lutheran College baseball team earned a split in its final non-conference doubleheader Monday evening against the visiting Carroll Pioneers. The Pioneers picked up a 12-4 victory in game one, but Sid Lehman (Theresa, Wis.) dealt a four-hit, complete game shutout as WLC earned a 2-0 victory in the nightcap for the non-conference split.
- Final Scores: Carroll 12, Wisconsin Lutheran 4; Wisconsin Lutheran 2, Carroll 0
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (11-24), Carroll (21-15)
- Location: Neumann Family Field, Milwaukee, Wis.
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- The Pioneers got on the board in the top of the first inning after two runners reached base via error then Sam Harmeyer hit a sacrifice fly to center.
- Carroll added another run in the top of the third inning on a fielder's choice to the shortstop, pushing its lead to 2-0.
- CU pulled away in the top of the fourth inning, scoring nine runs on nine hits, including seven singles to take an 11-0 lead after four innings.
- The Warriors rallied in the bottom of the seventh inning after an RBI single from Lehman, followed by double from Brandon Walk (Waukesha, Wis.) that scored two runs. Kyle Koth (Zion, Ill.) added an RBI single up the middle, scoring Lehman to make the score 12-4, which would be the final in game one.
- Lehman posted a 4-for-4 effort in game one, driving in one run. Walk led the Warriors with two RBIs.
- Ben Veenstra (Evansville, Wis.) took the loss in game one, allowing five earned runs in 3+ innings of work. Joe Serbiak (Brookfield, Wis.) tossed a scoreless inning in relief with two strikeouts.
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- Neither team put a runner on base until the top of the third inning when Carroll earned the first hit of the contest, but no damage came from the single.
- The Warriors put runners on base in the bottom of the fourth and fifth innings but were unable to plate any runs.
- WLC finally broke the scoreless tie in the bottom of the sixth inning when Brannigan Hart (Davie, Fla.) laid down a suicide squeeze that the Pioneers pitcher was unable to handle, plating Gunner Amelunk (Wales, Wis.).
- Walk drove home Brock Vredeveld (Waterloo, Wis.) with a sacrifice fly to deep left field in foul territory, pushing the Warriors lead to 2-0 with one inning to play.
- Lehman finished off his complete game shutout performance with a scoreless seventh inning, securing the 2-0 win for the Warriors.
- Vredeveld led WLC with two hits in game two while Walk delivered the lone RBI of the contest.
- Lehman picked up his first win of the season in his first start, allowing just four hits and no runs over 7.0 innings, striking out six Pioneers.
FOR THE FOES
- Seven different Pioneers collected hits in the opener while three different players collected two RBIs. Andrew Stone picked up his fifth win of the year, going 5.0 innings while allowing just four hits.
- The Pioneers were held to just four hits in game two, while Seth Smith earned the loss, allowing one run in relief.
- The Warriors return to Neumann Family Field Saturday for their final NACC doubleheader of the season against Aurora (22-12, 9-7 NACC). Saturday's contests will serve as Senior Day and ALS Awareness Day. Live audio and stats will be available at WLCSports.com. First pitch is scheduled for 12:00 p.m.