DEERFIELD, Ill. (WLCSports.com) - Trinity International broke open a scoreless game by erupting for 24 second-quarter points and piling up 673 yards of total offense as the Trojans handed the Warriors a 55-21 defeat in their season opener on Saturday afternoon at Leslie Frazier Field.
- Final Score: Trinity International 55, Wisconsin Lutheran 21
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (0-1), Trinity International (1-1)
- Location: Leslie Frazier Field, Deerfield, Ill. | Attendance: 450
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After a scoreless opening quarter in which the Warriors defense forced their only turnover of the game, the Trojans found the end zone on the third play of the second quarter on a 20-yard touchdown pass for a 7-0 lead.
- Following a 41-yard field goal on their ensuing possession, TIU added two more scores in the quarter on TD passes from J.J. Burmeister for a 24-0 halftime lead.
- Burmeister added his fourth TD of the game with just over 11 minutes left in the third quarter before the Warriors found the end zone for the first time.
- Chris Norvilus (Clermont, Fla./East Ridge) capped a five-play, 75-yard drive with a five-yard TD run, the first of two TDs for him in the game, to make the score 31-7.
- Burmeister added his final TD on a 13-yard run to end the third-quarter scoring.
- Norvilus capped yet another 75-yard drive with a seven-yard touchdown run with 13:44 left in the game.
- Following two TIU scores and a field goal, the Warriors found the end zone on their final play of the game when Jake Anderson (Oak Creek, Wis./Shoreland Lutheran) found Theo Belhomme (Kissimmee, Fla./Gateway) in the corner of the end zone for a three-yard score. WLC's final points were setup by a Chrystyan Woyak (Juneau, Wis./Lakeside Lutheran) 61-yard catch.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- The Trojans racked up 673 yards of total offense, including 473 on the ground. 326 of the Warriors' 398 yards of offense came through the air.
- Pat Mathieson (New Port Richey, Fla./River Ridge) was 20-for-29 for 254 yards with a fumble and interception.
- Norvilus finished with 35 yards on nine carries and two scores.
- Belhomme caught four passes for 98 yards and Alex Foster (Kenosha, Wis./St. Joseph) had six grabs for 53 yards.
- Offensively for Trinity, Burmeister finished 9-for-13 for 195 yards, Isaac Branch and Quintyn Reeder gained 120 and 113 yards on the ground, respectively, and Alex Johns-Moore made four catches for 130 yards and three touchdowns.
- Bryce Leipzig (Racine, Wis./Case) paced the Warriors defense with nine tackles. Mauricio Portillo led all players with 12 tackles for TIU.
- The Warriors have off for their bye week next Saturday before beginning a three-game homestand on September 17 against Olivet (0-1) at 1:00 p.m. Live stats and video will be available for the game at WLCSports.com.