MILWAUKEE (WLCSports.com) - UW-Eau Claire scored 30 unanswered points over the opening 24 minutes and went on to defeat the Wisconsin Lutheran College football team 40-14 in non-conference action on Saturday afternoon at Raabe Stadium.
- Final Score: UW-Eau Claire 40, Wisconsin Lutheran 14
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (0-3), UW-Eau Claire (1-2)
- Location: Raabe Stadium, Milwaukee, Wis. | Attendance: 550
HOW IT HAPPENED
- UW-Eau Claire started fast as they scored touchdowns on four of their first five possessions of the game for a 30-0 lead. Two of those scoring drives were over 70 yards and lasted between five and six minutes each.
- The Warriors found the end zone for the first time with 4:57 left before halftime when Anthony Rodriguez (Kissimmee, Fla./Gateway) connected with Theo Belhomme (Kissimmee, Fla./Gateway) from 39 yards away to cap just a three-play, 73-yard drive.
- WLC's defense stiffened in the second half, allowing just a touchdown and field goal over the final two quarters.
- Wisconsin Lutheran capped its scoring with 10:04 left in the fourth quarter following an Austin DeNoyer (Lake Mills, Wis./Lakeside Lutheran) one-yard touchdown run.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- UWEC out-gained WLC, 409-232, including 232-73 on the ground.
- The Warriors struggled on third down, going 0-for-13, while the Blugolds were 7-for-15.
- Both teams lost two fumbles, but UWEC also intercepted a pass, out-scoring WLC 15-0 in points off turnovers.
- JT Denhartog was 11-for-16 for 151 yards and four touchdowns. He also rushed for 61 yards and a score.
- Matthew Knapp caught six passes for 110 yards and three touchdowns.
- Rodriguez threw for 84 yards and a score, as he was one of four Warriors quarterbacks to play in the game.
- Austin DeNoyer had 10 carries for 34 yards and a touchdown. Belhomme caught two passes for 64 yards and a score.
- Larry Meeks (Burlington, Wis./Burlington) and Caleb Heinritz (Sussex, Wis./Homeschooled) led the Warriors defensively with 13 and 10 tackles, respectively. Meeks and Tyler Diermeier (Juneau, Wis./Hustisford) each recovered a fumble and Logan Troutman (Apopka, Fla./East Ridge) recorded a sack.
- Kaeleb Stangler led the Blugolds defense with eight tackles.
- Today's matchup marked the first for the Warriors against UW-Eau Claire and a WIAC opponent in program history.
- The Warriors close out their three-game homestand next Saturday when they host Aurora (1-2) for Homecoming 2016 and their conference opener. Kickoff is scheduled for 1:00 p.m. at Raabe Stadium. The Spartans had a bye this week. Live stats and video will be available for the game at WLCSports.com.