ROCKFORD, Ill. (WLCSports.com) - Wisconsin Lutheran College scored 35 straight points in the first half on its way to a convincing 45-21 win over Rockford on Saturday afternoon at Sam Greeley Field. The win was the first of the season for the Warriors.
- Final Score: Wisconsin Lutheran 45, Rockford 21
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (1-4, 1-1 NACC), Rockford (1-4, 0-2 NACC)
- Location: Sam Greeley Field, Rockford, Ill. | Attendance: 811
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Wisconsin Lutheran scored touchdowns on its first four possessions of the game, including three straight in the first quarter for a commanding 28-0 lead.
- WLC capitalized on a Rockford turnover for its first score of the game on a Pat Mathieson (New Port Richey, Fla./River Ridge) 21-yard touchdown pass to Andy DeNoyer (Waukesha, Wis./Wisconsin Lutheran) just 1:21 into the game.
- Jared Bruemmer (Hanover Park, Ill./Hoffman Estates) capped the Warriors' first long drive of the game on a two-yard TD plunge for a 14-0 lead.
- Theo Belhomme (Kissimmee, Fla./Gateway) then caught consecutive TD passes of 15 and 60 yards from Mathieson and Jake Anderson (Oak Creek, Wis./Shoreland Lutheran).
- Alex Foster (Kenosha, Wis./St. Joseph) hauled in a 22-yard touchdown pass from Mathieson just before halftime for a commanding 35-0 Warriors lead at the break.
- Rockford received a pair of third quarter touchdown passes in between a Sasha Bornschlegl 31-yard field goal as WLC led 38-14 after three.
- Wisconsin Lutheran's final touchdown of the game came in the fourth quarter on a Joshua Cason (Deltona, Fla./Pine Ridge) 14-yard scamper.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- The Warriors racked up 589 total yards of offense on 26 first downs. WLC rushed for 298 and threw for 291. The Regents recorded 365 yards of offense.
- Three Warriors quarterbacks combined for 20-for-26 passing for 291 yards and four touchdowns. Mathieson had 198 of those yards and three scores.
- Bruemmer rushed for 150 yards on 20 carries, an average of 7.5 yards per carry.
- Belhomme caught five passes for 113 yards and two touchdowns.
- Larry Meeks (Burlington, Wis./Burlington) led the Warriors defense with six tackles. WLC's defense was on the field for just 24:30 as its offense dominated time of possession.
- Tyler Diermeier (Juneau, Wis./Hustisford) tallied two sacks and JD Leisemann (Fall River, Wis./Fall River) added another. Bryce Leipzig (Racine, Wis./Case) and Caleb Heinritz (Sussex, Wis./Homeschooled) also recovered fumbles for WLC.
- The Regents offense was led by Darion Hornickel 266 yards and three touchdowns through the air. Kalan Miller caught six passes for 105 yards and a touchdown. Michael Watson recorded a game-high 15 tackles for the Rockford defense.
- Wisconsin Lutheran was an efficient 8-for-12 on third downs and a perfect 5-for-5 on red zone scoring chances.
- The Warriors won their ninth straight over Rockford and improved to 14-3 all-time against the Regents.
- Wisconsin Lutheran is back home next week for a 1:00 p.m. NACC showdown with Concordia Wisconsin (2-3, 0-2 NACC) for the Luther Cup. Live stats and video will be available for the game at WLCSports.com. The Falcons dropped a shootout with Benedictine today, 51-49. WLC has won two straight over CUW.