MILWAUKEE (WLCSports.com) - Wisconsin Lutheran College rushed for 319 yards, tying the second-highest output in a game in program history as the Warriors defeated Concordia Wisconsin 26-14 to claim the Luther Cup trophy for the third straight season on Saturday afternoon at Raabe Stadium.
- Final Score: Wisconsin Lutheran 26, Concordia Wisconsin 14
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (2-4, 2-1 NACC), Concordia Wisconsin (2-4, 0-3 NACC)
- Location: Raabe Stadium, Milwaukee, Wis. | Attendance: 672
HOW IT HAPPENED
- WLC scored its first points of the game on a Pat Mathieson (New Port Richey, Fla./River Ridge) three-yard touchdown pass to Andrew Sherman (Gilbert, Ariz./Christian) to take an early 7-0 lead just 2:09 into the game.
- Sasha Bornschlegl (Rochester, Minn./St. Croix Lutheran) nailed a 32-yard field goal, making the score 10-0, after the Warriors got great field position due to a poor Falcons punt.
- CUW scored its first TD on a Derrick Estfan 22-yard touchdown catch with 4:20 left in the first quarter.
- Bornschlegl was able to add another three points to WLC's tally to make the score 13-7, after a 21-yard field goal.
- Jared Bruemmer (Hanover Park, Ill./Hoffman Estates) hauled in a three-yard touchdown pass from Jake Anderson (Oak Creek, Wis./Shoreland Lutheran) making it 20-7 before the half. The score capped the Warriors' longest drive of the afternoon of 85 yards.
- CUW struck first after the break on a one-yard run from quarterback Aaron Nixon which narrowed the WLC lead to 20-14.
- Wisconsin Lutheran's final touchdown came in the third quarter on a Mathieson one-yard plunge to cap a 60-yard drive.
- Neither team found the end zone in the fourth quarter, and a late Caleb Heinritz (Sussex, Wis./Homeschooled) interception in the end zone halted the Falcons' final drive to seal the win for the Warriors.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- The Warriors racked up 439 total yards of offense on 26 first downs. WLC threw for 120 and rushed a season-best for 319. The Falcons recorded 248 yards of offense.
- Mathieson and Anderson combined for 17-for-25 passing for 120 yards and two touchdowns. Mathieson had 98 of those yards and one score.
- Bruemmer rushed for 193 yards on 29 carries, an average of 6.7 yards per carry. He also caught six passes for 26 yards and one touchdown. His 193 yards ranks fourth all-time in a single game.
- Chris Norvilus (Clermont, Fla./East Ridge) also averaged 6.7 yards per rush, totaling 67 yards on 10 carries.
- Wisconsin Lutheran was 5-of-7 on red zone scoring chances.
- Larry Meeks (Burlington, Wis./Burlington) led the Warriors defense with nine tackles. WLC's defense was on the field for 24:24 as its offense, once again, dominated time of possession.
- JD Leisemann (Fall River, Wis./Fall River) and Logan Troutman (Apopka, Fla./East Ridge) had three sacks each while Cameron Wolf (Oconomowoc, Wis./Oconomowoc) tallied another for the Warriors. Leisemann and CJ Grahn (Beloit, Wis./Memorial) also recovered fumbles for WLC.
- The Falcons offense was led by Nixon's 228 passing yards and one touchdown. Kevin Folker caught nine passes for 149 yards. Bryan Thomas and James Thomsen each had 13 tackles for CUW, which remains winless in NACC play.
- WLC won its third straight and fifth of its last seven over the Falcons.
- Wisconsin Lutheran is on the road next Saturday for a 1:00 p.m. NACC showdown with Lakeland (4-2, 2-0 NACC) at Sheboygan North High School. The Muskies held off Benedictine on Saturday, 32-29, to remain undefeated in league play. Live audio, stats, and video will be available for the game at WLCSports.com.