SHEBOYGAN, Wis. (WLCSports.com) - Sophomore quarterback Pat Mathieson (New Port Richey, Fla./River Ridge) accounted for 447 total yards and six touchdowns, both school records, to lead the Wisconsin Lutheran College football team to an impressive 50-34 win over defending NACC champion Lakeland on Saturday at North High School's Urban Field.
- Final Score: Wisconsin Lutheran 50, Lakeland 34
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (3-4, 3-1 NACC), Lakeland (4-3, 2-1 NACC)
- Location: Urban Field, Sheboygan, Wis. | Attendance: 689
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Lakeland scored quickly in the first quarter and had a 13-0 lead against Wisconsin Lutheran after a pair of long touchdown runs from the Muskies' Dezmon Eddie.
- The Warriors cracked the scoring column with 1:33 left in the first when Matheison completed a three-yard touchdown to Alex Foster (Kenosha, Wis./St. Joseph).
- Lakeland tacked on another touchdown as time expired in the opening quarter on a 62-yard touchdown pass to Dezmen Morse.
- To start the second quarter, Mathieson ran for a 57-yard touchdown after driving 65 yards on just three plays in 1:04.
- Emil Johnson (Cicero, Ill./Morton East) brought the Warriors to within two points less than two minutes later when he blocked and returned a punt 17 yards for a touchdown.
- The Warriors scored another touchdown when Mathieson completed a 17-yard pass to Foster with 4:40 left in the second quarter to give WLC its first lead of the game at 24-20.
- Eddie scored his third touchdown of the game for Lakeland with 1:31 left before halftime on a 21-yard run that allowed Lakeland to take a 27-24 lead at halftime.
- Wisconsin Lutheran started off the third quarter with a 14-yard touchdown pass from Mathieson to Foster.
- Sasha Bornschlegl (Rochester, Minn./St. Croix Lutheran) added two field goals from 21 and 34 yards away for a 37-27 lead after three quarters.
- Mathieson had a 50-yard TD run up the middle in the first minute of the fourth quarter for the Warriors to extend the lead to 44-27.
- Lakeland answered with a two-yard touchdown pass to Kezlow Smith over two minutes later, but the Warriors sealed the game with a Joshua Cason (Deltona, Fla./Pine Ridge) six-yard touchdown catch at the 2:15 mark to make the final score 50-34.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- The Warriors totaled 532 yards of offense, rushing for over 300 yards for the second straight game.
- Mathieson rushed for 219 yards and two touchdowns on just 17 carries, an average of 12.9 yards per carry. He came up just one yard shy of tying the school's single game rushing record. Mathieson also threw for 228 yards and four scores on 19-for-32 passing. His six total touchdowns and 447 total yards set new school records.
- Foster caught three touchdowns on four total receptions, while Andy DeNoyer (Waukesha, Wis./Wisconsin Lutheran) and Theo Belhomme (Kissimmee, Fla./Gateway) each had 69 yards receiving.
- Larry Meeks (Burlington, Wis./Burlington) had a team-high seven tackles and a fumble recovery. Derrick Brungraber (Carlsville, Wis./Gibraltar) and Heriberto Diaz (Lake Placid, Fla./Lake Placid) each recorded a sack. WLC forced three Lakeland turnovers and out-scored the hosts 10-0 off them.
- Desmon Eddie rushed for 140 yards and three touchdowns, while also catching six passes for 115 yards. Dezmen Morse hauled in six receptions for 103 yards and a score.
- Michael Whitley was held to 16-for-36 passing for 250 yards and a touchdown. He threw two interceptions and was sacked twice.
- Donte Rowell led the Muskies' defense with a game-high 11 tackles and a sack.
- The Warriors snapped a three-game losing streak to the Muskies. WLC's 50 points are its most since it scored 63 on November 1, 2014 at Rockford.
- The Warriors return to Raabe Stadium next Saturday for a Senior Day showdown with Benedictine (4-3, 2-1 NACC) at 1:00 p.m. The Eagles suffered their second straight loss on Saturday, falling 54-48 in an overtime shootout at Olivet. Live stats and video will be available for the seasons's final home game at WLCSports.com.