MILWAUKEE (WLCSports.com) - The Wisconsin Lutheran College football team turned the ball over six times leading to 28 points for visiting Trinity International, as the Warriors dropped their season opener to the Trojans 58-21 Saturday night at Raabe Stadium.
- Final Score: Trinity International 58, Wisconsin Lutheran 21
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (0-1), Trinity International (1-0)
- Location: Raabe Stadium, Milwaukee, Wis.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After trailing 21-0 early on in the second quarter, quarterback Pat Mathieson (New Port Richey, Fla.) capped a six-play, 39-yard drive with a five-yard TD run for the Warriors' first score of the season.
- A late second quarter TIU touchdown made the score 28-7 in favor of the visitors at halftime.
- Mathieson connected with Chrystyan Woyak (Juneau, Wis.) on the Warriors' second drive of the third quarter for a 24-yard touchdown pass, ending just a four-play, 85-yard scoring drive in only 1:05.
- Following a Trojans touchdown, Wisconsin Lutheran answered with its second straight scoring drive, as Mathieson scampered 11 yards to the end zone for the final touchdown of the game for the Green and White.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- The Warriors recorded 292 yards of total offense, but were limited to 68 on the ground on 32 attempts.
- Mathieson completed 16 of 27 passing attempts for 195 yards and a score. He also added a pair of rushing scores.
- Woyak led the receiving corps with five catches for 59 yards and a touchdown.
- Joshua Cason (Deltona, Fla.) averaged 5.5 yards per carry after rushing 12 times for 66 yards.
- JD Leisemann (Fall River, Wis.) led the Warriors defense with seven tackles and an interception.
FOR THE FOES
- The Trojans had three players rush for the majority of their 228 yards on the ground, totaling four touchdowns.
- TIU totaled 355 yards of offense, but just 127 through the air.
- Defensively, Trinity International forced six turnovers, recorded four sacks, and were led by Godfrey Collins II seven tackles.
- The Warriors begin a stretch of three straight road games, starting Saturday at UW-Eau Claire (0-1). Kickoff is scheduled for 6:10 p.m. and the game can be watched live on WLCSports.com. The Blugolds dropped their season opener to No. 5 St. Thomas, 47-13, Saturday afternoon.