MILWAUKEE - Jim Marose (Waukesha, Wis./Wisconsin Lutheran) scored a career-high 26 points on 10-of-11 shooting to propel the Wisconsin Lutheran College men's basketball team to an 80-67 Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference victory over Dominican Tuesday night at the Recreation Complex. Marose's 90.9 percent shooting for the game matched the program record set by Kon Knueppel in 1996.
WHERE THEY STAND
- The Warriors earned their first NACC victory to improve to 2-2 overall and 1-1 in conference play, while the Stars remained winless at 0-4 overall and 0-1 in the NACC.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- WLC grabbed the lead on a dunk by Marose on its opening possession and never trailed in the contest.
- Marose scored nine points to help WLC dart out to a 13-1 lead less than four minutes into the game.
- Later in the half, the Warriors used a 14-2 run to push the lead to a game-high 25 points at 42-17 with 5:19 to play in the opening half.
- WLC carried a 50-30 advantage into the break. Marose scored 15 and Kyle Stelse (Jefferson, Wis./Lakeside Lutheran) added 10 in the first half.
- The Stars opened the second half on an 8-0 run as they began to chip away at the deficit. The Warriors' lead was cut all the way down to five at 65-60 with 5:52 remaining following a 15-3 surge by Dominican.
- Jake Jarnigo (Lake Mills, Wis./Lakeside Lutheran) drilled a three-pointer on the next possession to halt the run. After leading by six with 4:42 to play, WLC closed the game on a 9-2 run.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Marose grabbed seven rebounds and dished out a team-high five assists in addition to his game-high 26 points. Stelse and Brett Lubbe (Las Vegas, Nev./Faith Lutheran) scored 13 points apiece, and Lubbe also snared a game-high eight rebounds and led the Warriors with three steals. Jarnigo notched eight points and pulled down five rebounds.
- Josh Mayberry led Dominican with 22 points, seven assists, four rebounds, and four steals. Quinn Pokora supplied 16 points.
- The Warriors shot a red-hot 75.9 percent (22-of-29) in the opening half and out-shot the Stars 61.2 percent to 46.2 percent for the game. WLC's field goal percentage was the fourth-best in a single game in school history.
- WLC out-rebounded Dominican 35-16, held a 12-0 advantage in second-chance points, and dominated points in the paint 40-20.
- Wisconsin Lutheran will hit the road for a non-conference game at Bethany Lutheran (0-3) Saturday at 2 p.m. Links to live stats and video will be available on wlcsports.com.