WINONA, Minn. - Winona St. pulled away from a 12-point halftime lead by opening up the second half on a 10-0 run and the host Warriors went on to defeat the Wisconsin Lutheran College men's basketball team 92-62 in the season opener Saturday afternoon at McCown Gymnasium.
- Final Score: Winona St. 92, Wisconsin Lutheran 62
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (0-1), Winona St. (1-0)
- Location: McCown Gymnasium, Winona, Minn. | Attendance: 1,086
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Wisconsin Lutheran hung with the two-time NCAA Division II national champions for much of the first half. WLC trailed 8-6 at the 16:41 mark and kept its deficit within six points with 6:09 remaining in the opening stanza.
- WSU built a double-digit lead over the final 4:08 of the first half and went into halftime ahead 42-30.
- WLC shot 37.9 percent in the first half opposed to 53.3 percent for the host Warriors.
- WSU scored the first 10 points of the second half to open up its largest lead until the 5:27 mark of the second half.
- Wisconsin Lutheran came no closer than 15 points at the 13:03 mark of the half.
- Winona St. led by as much as 31 points with 2:22 left in the game to come away with the win.
- WSU shot a sizzling 61.3 percent in the second half, while WLC improved to 46.4 percent.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Collin Kennedy (Holmen, Wis./Luther) dropped in 14 points in his Warriors debut to lead four players in double-figures.
- Tanner Schieve (Slinger, Wis./Slinger) scored 12 off the bench, while Jake Jarnigo (Lake Mills, Wis./Lakeside Lutheran) and Chase Nowak (Milwaukee, Wis./St. Francis) each added 11. Schieve also dished out six assists.
- WLC shot 42.1 percent (24-for-57) for the game from the floor, but struggled from the free throw line, shooting just 50 percent (9-for-18).
- Kyle Bauman poured in 21 points and grabbed 12 rebounds to lead Winona St. Conrad Masberg added 16 points.
- WSU shot 57.4 percent (35-for-61) for the game.
- Wisconsin Lutheran was out-scored 46-20 on points in the paint and 12-0 in fast break points.
- WLC falls to 1-4 all-time against NCAA Division II opponents.
- The Warriors continue their season-opening three-game road trip at Lawrence on Tuesday at 7 p.m. The Vikings edged Dominican 74-72 in their season opener on Saturday. Live video will be available for the game at wlcsports.com.