MILWAUKEE - Collin Kennedy (Holmen, Wis./Luther) scored a game-high 24 points and grabbed 13 rebounds to lead three players in double-figures as the Wisconsin Lutheran College men's basketball team pulled away in the second half to defeat Maranatha 66-49 in non-conference action on Saturday night at the Recreation Complex.
- Final Score: Wisconsin Lutheran 66, Maranatha 49
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (7-10), Maranatha (6-7)
- Location: Recreation Complex, Milwaukee, Wis. | Attendance: 203
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Sabercats led briefly early on at 4-2 before the Warriors rattled off eight straight points for a 10-4 lead with 12:43 left in the first half. WLC would never relinquish its lead from that point on.
- Wisconsin Lutheran extended its lead to a first-half high 10 points at 20-10, but made just one field goal over the final eight minutes and carried a slim 24-22 lead into halftime. Both teams shot below 30 percent in the first half.
- The Warriors scored the first five points of the second half to lead 29-22 for a seven-point lead.
- Maranatha cut its deficit to just two points with 13:35 left, but would get no closer.
- The Warriors netted the next five points and would lead by double-digits for the final 3:26 of the game.
- Wisconsin Lutheran led by as many as 17 points when the game ended.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Collin Kennedy paced three Warriors in double-figures with 24 points and 13 rebounds for his third double-double of the season. The freshman has scored in double-figures eight straight games.
- Jake Jarnigo (Lake Mills, Wis./Lakeside Lutheran) scored 17 and Chase Nowak (Milwaukee, Wis./St. Francis) added 14 to round out the double-figure scoring for the Warriors.
- WLC finished the contest shooting 35.2 percent from the floor, while MBU went for a cooler 32.8 percent.
- The Warriors out-muscled MBU on the glass, 52-39, including 17-8 on the offensive end.
- The teams combined to shoot just 2-for-29 from three-point range.
- Kyle Brown scored 10 points off the bench to lead the Sabercats in scoring on the night.
- The Warriors will next host Marian (9-9, 6-7 NACC) on Tuesday at 7 p.m. at the Recreation Complex. The Sabres fell at home to Aurora on Saturday, 77-69. WLC defeated Marian 81-71 back on December 1 in Fond du Lac. Live audio, stats, and video will be available for the game at WLCSports.com.