WATERTOWN, Wis. (WLCSports.com) - Tanner Schieve (Slinger, Wis./Slinger) tied a career-high with 24 points to lead four players in double-figures as the Wisconsin Lutheran College men's basketball team collected a 75-71 win over Maranatha in its final non-conference game of the season on Saturday night inside Maranatha Gymnasium.
- Final Score: Wisconsin Lutheran 75, Maranatha 71
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (9-8), Maranatha (4-9)
- Location: Maranatha Gymnasium, Watertown, Wis. | Attendance: 478
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Wisconsin Lutheran held a lead for most of the first half, as it never trailed by more than three points.
- After four lead changes, a late 6-0 run in the first half gave the Warriors their largest lead of the opening period, 36-29. WLC maintained a five-point lead, 36-31, at halftime.
- The Warriors shot 37.5 percent (9-for-24) from the field, but went for 81.0 percent (17-for-21) at the free throw line in the first half. Schieve led the Warriors with 16 points in the first half. Maranatha shot 46.2 percent (12-for-26) in the first period and was paced by Bryce Cashner's nine points.
- The Warriors had a six-point lead and led for the first 10 minutes of the second half before the Sabercats tied the game at 51-51.
- WLC answered with a 9-0 run and later held a nine-point lead, 66-57, with 3:38 left in the game.
- Maranatha cut the Warriors' lead down to just three points, 71-68, with 0:24 seconds to go, but Wisconsin Lutheran made four of its final six free throw attempts to solidify the non-league victory.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Schieve led the Warriors with a career-high 24 points, four assists, and three steals. Collin Kennedy (Holmen, Wis./Luther) and Chase Nowak (Milwaukee, Wis./St. Francis) added 16 and 13 points, respectively, and Christian Walz (Waukesha, Wis./West) chipped in 10 off the bench.
- Kennedy and Zack Nelsen (Menominee Falls, Wis./Kettle Moraine Lutheran) also grabbed six rebounds apiece.
- Wisconsin Lutheran shot 44.0 percent (22-for-50) from the floor and 71.8 percent (28-for-39) from the free throw line. WLC reached season-highs in both free throws made and attempted.
- The Warriors out-rebounded the Sabercats 34-23.
- MBU's Micah Shepard led all scorers with 32 points, including 28 alone in the second half, while shooting 6-for-10 from behind the three-point line.
- WLC won its eighth straight game over the Sabercats and finished non-conference play 3-2.
- The Warriors travel to Marian (5-12, 4-8 NACC) on Wednesday for a crucial NACC matchup at 7:00 p.m. inside Sadoff Gymnasium. WLC edged MU, 66-65, in its conference opener on Nov. 30 in Milwaukee. The Sabres are coming off a 91-74 defeat at Aurora on Saturday. Links to live stats and video will be available for the game at WLCSports.com.