FOND DU LAC, Wis. (WLCSports.com) - Tanner Schieve (Slinger, Wis./Slinger) scored 23 of his career-high 29 points in the second half, but Marian shot over 50 percent and made 20 free throws over the final 20 minutes as the host Sabres handed the Warriors an 85-82 defeat on Wednesday night at Sadoff Gymnasium.
- Final Score: Marian 85, Wisconsin Lutheran 82
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (9-9, 6-7 NACC), Marian (6-12, 5-8 NACC)
- Location: Sadoff Gymnasium, Fond du Lac, Wis. | Attendance: 134
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Sabres jumped out to a 5-0 lead over the Warriors, the largest lead of the first half for either team. WLC scored six straight points for its first lead of the contest, marking the first of eight ties and eight lead changes in the first half.
- The Warriors held a 33-29 lead, their second four-point lead of the opening half, with 3:02 left before halftime, but the Sabres closed the half on a 7-1 run for a 36-34 halftime lead.
- Wisconsin Lutheran was held to just 32.3 percent (10-for-31) shooting in the first half, but was led by Chase Nowak's (Milwaukee, Wis./St. Francis) 12 first-half points on four three-pointers.
- Marian shot 51.7 percent (15-for-29) in the opening half and out-scored the Warriors 20-4 on points in the paint.
- After a few back-and-forth minutes to begin the second half, the Warriors went on a 9-1 run to take their largest lead of the game of seven points on a Schieve jumper with 13:04 left to play. WLC maintained a lead of four points with 7:52 on the clock, but another 7-1 MU run put the hosts back in front.
- Following a stretch of five ties, Wisconsin Lutheran took a 75-73 lead on a Collin Kennedy (Holmen, Wis./Luther) jumper with just 1:54 left. Unfortunately it would be the last lead for Wisconsin Lutheran as Marian tied the game on its next possession and made 10 free throws in the final 1:18 to hold off the visitors.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Schieve led all scorers with a career-high 29 points, including 13-of-15 from the free-throw line. Collin Kennedy posted a double-double of 20 points and 10 rebounds, and Nowak finished with 17 points. Tyler De Young (Waupun, Wis./Central Wisconsin Christian) pulled down nine rebounds.
- The Warriors shot 40.9 percent (27-for-66) for the game, but were hampered by 62.5 percent (20-for-32) shooting from the charity stripe.
- The matchup featured 20 lead changes and 17 ties. WLC won the battle of points off turnovers, 16-10, and second-chance points, 22-19, after grabbing a season-high 22 offensive rebounds. However, Marian out-scored Wisconsin Lutheran 30-6 in bench points, including 21-0 in the second half.
- Four players scored in double-figures for the Sabres, including Evan Hansen and Reggie Roemer who added 16 and 12 points, respectively, off the bench. The hosts shot 50.9 percent (28-for-55) for the game and went 24-for-35 (68.6 percent) from the charity stripe, including 20-for-28 in the second half.
- The Warriors return home for a two-game homestand beginning Saturday when they host Dominican (9-8, 6-6 NACC) at 3:15 p.m. for Winterfest. The Stars defeated Maranatha 76-62 on Tuesday. Links to live stats and video will be available for the game at WLCSports.com.