MILWAUKEE (WLCSports.com) - Chase Nowak (Milwaukee, Wis./St. Francis) scored a career-high 28 points and Tanner Schieve (Slinger, Wis./Slinger) added 28 points and 10 assists to lead the Wisconsin Lutheran College men's basketball team to an 86-76 win over Dominican on Saturday inside the Recreation Complex on Winterfest.
- Final Score: Wisconsin Lutheran 86, Dominican 76
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (10-9, 7-7 NACC), Dominican (9-9, 6-7 NACC)
- Location: Recreation Complex, Milwaukee, Wis. | Attendance: 383
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Stars jumped out to a 6-0 lead over the Warriors and led 10-6 before the hosts scored nine unanswered points for a 15-10 lead at the 12:16 mark.
- The Stars stormed back with seven straight points to regain the lead, but it would be their last lead for the rest of the contest.
- WLC went ahead 30-24 and 38-31 on three-pointers from Nowak and the Stars would get no closer than five points for the final 3:39 of the first half.
- Wisconsin Lutheran carried a 47-37 lead into halftime, its largest of the first half. The Warriors shot a sizzling 54.5 percent (18-for-33) in the opening stanza and received 18 points from Nowak and 14 from Schieve. Dominican connected on 44.8 percent (13-for-29) of its shots in the first 20 minutes.
- DU trimmed WLC's lead down to just four points with 14:16 left to play in the game, but Wisconsin Lutheran scored five straight points and its lead remained above double-figures for the final 10:51 of the game after a Nowak breakaway dunk.
- The Warriors built their largest lead of the game at 17 points with 6:24 remaining.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Nowak and Schieve scored 28 points each to lead the Warriors, while Schieve added 10 dimes for a double-double. Collin Kennedy (Holmen, Wis./Luther) grabbed 14 rebounds to go along with nine points, and Christian Walz (Waukesha, Wis./West) added nine points off the bench.
- The Warriors shot a season-best 51.6 percent (32-for-62) from the floor and an even better 69.2 percent (9-for-13) from three-point range.
- Despite one fewer turnover than the Stars, the Warriors out-scored them 21-9 in points off turnovers, while also holding a 40-24 advantage on points in the paint.
- Tim Robertson scored 23 points, grabbed 10 rebounds, and blocked four shots to lead three players in double-figures for Dominican. DU finished the game shooting 42.6 percent (23-for-54), but just 25.0 percent (6-for-24) from beyond the arc.
- The Warriors won their sixth straight over the Stars and surpassed them for the fifth spot in the NACC standings.
- Wisconsin Lutheran remains home on Tuesday when it hosts MSOE (8-9, 7-6 NACC) at 7:00 p.m. in a NACC crosstown showdown. The Raiders fell at home to Rockford on Saturday, 80-78. Links to live stats and video will be available for the game at WLCSports.com.