MILWAUKEE (WLCSports.com) - Tanner Schieve (Slinger, Wis./Slinger) scored a game-high 26 points to pace four starters in double-figures as the Wisconsin Lutheran College men's basketball team defeated NACC foe Concordia Wisconsin 84-81 on Wednesday in front of a large Senior Night crowd at the Recreation Complex. With the win, WLC is tied for fourth in the conference standings with three games left to play.
- Final Score: Wisconsin Lutheran 84, Concordia Wisconsin 81
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (12-10, 9-8 NACC), Concordia Wisconsin (13-8, 11-5 NACC)
- Location: Recreation Complex, Milwaukee, Wis. | Attendance: 399
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Warriors scored the first five points of the game and soon after built their largest lead of the game of eight points at 13-5 with 14:31 left in the first half. The Falcons closed to within a point, but the Warriors responded with six straight for a seven-point lead near the midway mark of the first half.
- Concordia Wisconsin, which led for a total of just 1:06 in the first half, took its first lead of the game at 28-27 with just under four minutes left in the first half. Wisconsin Lutheran closed the opening period on a 7-2 run for a 37-33 halftime lead.
- Collin Kennedy (Holmen, Wis./Luther) scored 17 of his 24 points in the first half on 8-for-13 shooting, as the Warriors shot 46.4 percent (13-for-28) as a team in the opening half. The Falcons shot an even 40.0 percent (14-for-35) in the first half.
- An 11-2 scoring run by the Falcons four minutes into the second half gave them their largest lead of the game at 52-46 with 13:08 left to play. CUW held a 57-53 lead until the Warriors rattled off nine straight points for a five-point lead with 9:12 remaining.
- The Falcons managed to regain the lead three more times and held a 77-74 lead until Chase Nowak's (Milwaukee, Wis./St. Francis) three-pointer with 1:37 left sparked a 7-0 Warriors run.
- Wisconsin Lutheran led by five points with just 0:10 seconds left, but Concordia Wisconsin drained a three-pointer with 0:03 seconds on the clock to make it a two-point game.
- After Collin Kennedy made one of two free throws, the Falcons called a timeout with 1.6 seconds left and managed to complete a long inbounds pass for an open look at a game-tying three-pointer, but the shot caromed off the backboard as the final horn sounded.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Schieve scored 23 of his game-high 26 points in the second half to lead the Warriors. He also dished out a team-best eight assists. Collin Kennedy recorded his third straight double-double and 11th overall with 24 points and a game-high 12 rebounds. Nowak finished with 16 points, five assists, and four rebounds, while Tyler De Young (Waupun, Wis./Central Wisconsin Christian) added 12 points and seven rebounds.
- Wisconsin Lutheran bested Concordia Wisconsin in field goal percentage (45.8-45.7), three-point shooting (47.1-32.3), and free-throw shooting (73.3-63.6). The Warriors made 22 of their 30 attempts from the charity stripe, while the Falcons went to the line just 11 times, making seven.
- WLC set a season-high with six blocked shots.
- The two teams combined to receive just five points from their benches, but the Falcons dominated points in the paint 44-20.
- Jake Jurss led four Falcons in double-figures with 24 points. Andrew Fratzke (18 points, 10 rebounds) and Eric Kittel (14 points, 10 assists) each posted double-doubles for CUW.
- WLC won its third straight home game and concludes its regular season with an 8-3 home record.
- The Warriors honored their four seniors Schieve, Alex Foster (Kenosha, Wis./St. Joseph), Jake Van Fleet (Muskego, Wis./Muskego), and Christian Walz (Waukesha, Wis./West) during a pregame ceremony.
- Wisconsin Lutheran closes out its regular season with three straight road games, beginning Saturday with a 4:15 p.m. matchup at Concordia Chicago (5-17, 4-13 NACC). The Cougars were handed a 106-84 loss to conference champion Benedictine tonight. Links to live stats and video will be available for the game at WLCSports.com.