MILWAUKEE (WLCSports.com) – The Wisconsin Lutheran College men's basketball team opened its 2017-2018 exhibition campaign with a 92-64 defeat against NCAA Division I Milwaukee inside the Klotsche Center Thursday night. The Warriors trailed by just 13 at the break before the host Panthers pulled away in the second half.
- Final Score: Milwaukee 92, Wisconsin Lutheran 64
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (0-1), Milwaukee (1-1)
- Location: Klotsche Center, Milwaukee, Wis.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After a brief 3-0 lead by the Warriors, the Panthers jumped out to a nine-point lead through the first five minutes of the contest, leading 16-7.
- Wisconsin Lutheran kept the contest close, as Collin Kennedy (Holmen, Wis.) scored six straight for the Warriors as they cut the deficit to just three points with 10 minutes to play in the first half.
- Colin Biesterfeld (West Bend, Wis.) hit a jumper in the lane to bring WLC within one point at 18-17 at the 8:48 mark, but the Panthers answered with six straight points to increase their lead.
- UWM connected on a three-pointer with just two seconds left in the half to take a 13-point lead of 42-29 into the locker room.
- Four straight points to open the second half put the Panthers ahead by 17 points.
- A 7-0 run from the Warriors brought their deficit to 13 points with 11:30 remaining in the game.
- Milwaukee maintained an 18-point lead through the 9:00 minute mark until they increased their lead to 34 points with under five minutes to play, their largest lead of the contest.
- Sam Kaufman (Spring Grove, Ill.) buried a three-pointer with nine seconds remaining in the game to make the final score 92-64.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Kennedy paced the Warriors with 19 points and also pulled down a team-high seven rebounds.
- Chase Nowak (Milwaukee, Wis.) added 18 points, connecting on three triples.
- Tyler De Young (Waupun, Wis.) stuffed the stat sheet with seven points, four rebounds, three assists, and two steals.
- WLC shot 43.5 percent from the field and 40 percent from beyond the three-point line.
- The Warriors forced the Panthers into 14 turnovers in the contest.
FOR THE FOES
- Brett Prahl paced five Panthers starters in double-figures with 15 points. He also added six rebounds and five assists.
- Brock Stull added 14 points and five rebounds, while Jeremy Johnson added 12 points.
- UWM out-rebounded WLC 43-31, including 23-14 in the second half.
- The Panthers registered 15 steals in the contest and out-scored the Warriors 18-0 in fast break points.
- UWM shot 50.7 percent from the field, while converting 81.3 percent of their shots from the charity stripe.
- The Warriors open their regular season schedule Wednesday, November 15 at Lawrence at 7:00 p.m. WLC has won its last two season openers over LU. A link to live video will be available at WLCSports.com.