ANGOLA, Ind. (WLCSports.com) – The Wisconsin Lutheran College men's basketball team could not overcome 50 percent shooting from the host Trine Thunder as it fell 89-52 in its opening game of the St. Andrews Products Classic Friday night inside Hershey Hall. The Thunder connected on 12 three-pointers and out-scored the Warriors 31-8 in points off turnovers.
- Final Score: Trine 89, Wisconsin Lutheran 52
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (1-6), Trine (3-4)
- Location: Hershey Hall, Angola, Ind.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Thunder opened the game on a 13-1 run, powered by two three-pointers and four early WLC turnovers.
- Chase Nowak (Milwaukee, Wis.) answered with a personal 8-0 run to cut the deficit to seven.
- Collin Kennedy (Holmen, WIs.) connected on a jump shot to bring the Warriors within five points with six minutes remaining in the first half, but Trine answered with seven straight to push its lead back to 12 with just under four minutes to play.
- After a jump shot from Matty Farner (Muskego, Wis.) brought WLC within 10 at the 2:52 mark, Trine used an 11-2 run to close out the first half, taking a 42-23 lead into the break.
- The Thunder ran off 10 straight points to open the second half, extending its lead to 29, until Kennedy hit a mid-range jumper for the Warriors first points of the half.
- Mack Knueppel (Jackson, Wis.) and Nowak combined for an 8-0 run to bring WLC within 23 points with just over 12 minutes remaining in the contest.
- Trine used a 15-4 run over a four-minute span to extend its lead to 39, the largest of the game, with three minutes to play.
- Free throws from Knueppel, Jerrod Klug (Loveland, Colo.), and Alex Thiede (Cudahy, Wis.) closed out the contest, with the Thunder earning an 89-52 victory.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Nowak led the offensive attack for the Warriors, scoring a season-high 26 points, including 15 in the first half.
- Knueppel added nine points and seven rebounds, while Kennedy chipped in six.
- Farner led the Warriors with 10 rebounds, including four points.
- WLC shot 28.6 percent (16-of-56) from the field and converted 78.3 percent (18-of-23) of its free throw attempts.
- Wisconsin Lutheran held a 45-35 advantage on the backboards, including 13 on the offensive end.
FOR THE FOES
- Langston Johnson led the Thunder with 26 points off the bench, connecting on eight three-pointers.
- Pete Smith added 19 points and eight rebounds, while Myles Copeland chipped in 13 points.
- Jalen Paul dished out a game-high 10 assists, adding seven points.
- Trine connected on 50 percent (34-of-68) of its shots from the field and 50 percent (12-of-24) of its three-point shots.
- The hosts forced 22 Warriors turnovers, scoring 31 points off of them.
- Trine scored 23 fast break points and 43 of its 89 points came off of the bench.
- The Warriors continue play in the St. Andrews Products Classic Saturday afternoon when they face Adrian (4-2). The Bulldogs defeated No. 3 UW-Whitewater in the first game of the St. Andrews Products Classic, 66-53, Friday night. Tip-off is scheduled for 2:00 p.m. with links to live stats and video available at WLCSports.com.