JANESVILLE, Wis. - The Wisconsin Lutheran College men's golf team started its 2015 fall season strong Friday and Saturday, finishing second out of 19 teams at the season-opening Culver's-Edgewood Fall Invitational at Glen Erin Golf Club. Sean Esenberg (Jackson, Wis./Kettle Moraine Lutheran) finished third overall in the 104-player field with his two-day 143 (+1).
- Tournament: Culver's-Edgewood Fall Invitational
- Location: Glen Erin Golf Club, Janesville, Wis.
- Course Info: 6849 Yards, Par 71
- WLC Team: 2nd of 19 (+29)
- Top WLC Individual: Sean Esenberg (+1), 3rd of 104
INSIDE THE SCORECARD
- Esenberg finished just four shots back of the leader with his two-round 143 (71-72).
- Jacob Mortell (Eden Prairie, Minn./St. Croix Lutheran) tied for fifth overall with a 147 to finish at +5.
- Tyler Wood (Eagan, Minn./St. Croix Lutheran) strung together rounds of 73 and 75 for a 148 and a 12th-place finish.
- Garrett Ralston (Machesney Park, Ill./Harlem) rounded out the scoring for the Warriors with a 159 (79-90).
- The Warriors totaled a two-round 597 (300-297), 12 shots behind the leader, but 19 strokes ahead of the next closest NACC team.
- Carthage won the team title with a 585 (298-287). Kyle Donovan of Carthage earned medalist honors with a 139 (69-70) to finish at -3.
- Mortell fired the fourth-lowest round of the tournament on Saturday with his 70 (-1).
- WLC's second-round 297 (+13) is its second-lowest round dating back to the 2006 season.
- 3. Sean Esenberg, 143 (+1)
- T-5. Jacob Mortell, 147 (+5)
- T-12. Tyler Wood, 148 (+6)
- T-38. Damon Gnewikow, 155 (+13)
- T-38. TJ Obbink, 155 (+13)
- T-49. Derick Disch, 158 (+16)
- T-55. Garrett Ralston, 159 (+17)
- T-63. Austin Busler, 161 (+19)
- T-63. Ben Landvatter, 161 (+19)
- T-80. Pete Kaufmann, 165 (+23)
- The Warriors will compete next Friday and Saturday at the Tim Kopka Memorial Tournament at Randall Oaks Golf Club in West Dundee, Ill.