ROCKFORD, Ill. - Junior Austin Drake (East Troy, Wis./East Troy) scored two goals and assisted on three others as the Wisconsin Lutheran College men's soccer team routed host Rockford 8-1 Saturday afternoon at Sam Greeley Field.
WHERE THEY STAND
- The Warriors improved to 7-4-0 overall and 1-1-0 in the NACC, while the Regents fell to 1-8-1 and 0-3-0 in conference play.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Drake opened the scoring in just the third minute when he stole the ball and fired a shot from 15 yards out for the 1-0 lead.
- Senior Mavric Otterstatter (Fond du Lac, Wis./Winnebago Lutheran) connected on a penalty kick for the third straight game, fourth overall, in the 12th minute for a 2-0 advantage.
- Drake's second score of the game came in the 17th minute courtesy of junior Teffie Joyce (Green Bay, Wis./Fox Valley Lutheran) following a pass in front of the defense on the left side.
- Freshman Nick Zupinski (Kenosha, Wis./Shoreland Lutheran) made it 4-0 in the 32nd minute after a deflected cross from Drake in front of the net.
- Junior Nate Wasser (Lake Geneva, Wis./Shoreland Lutheran) began the second half scoring just over one minute in when he headed in a pass from Drake that was send from 20 yards away.
- Rockford's only score of the match came in the 53rd minute on Erik Manriquez's penalty kick.
- WLC's next two scores came less than three minutes apart when Wasser and senior Brad Mallmann (Plymouth, Wis./Plymouth) scored off short passes in front of the net from Drake and freshman Isaiah Gronholz (Watertown, Wis./Lakeside Lutheran).
- With just six seconds left in the match, Zupinski connected with freshman Ben Wordell (Lake Mills, Wis./Christian Academy Japan) for the final tally of the day.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- The Warriors held a commanding 34-3 advantage in shots, including 21-3 in shots on goal.
- Drake and Gronholz led WLC in shots with eight and seven, respectively.
- Wasser and Drake rank 1-2 in the league in goals scored.
- The team's eight goals and 34 shots both tie for fifth all-time in program history.
- WLC is now a perfect 7-0 against the Regents since the two teams began playing as conference foes in 2008.
- Wisconsin Lutheran hosts Marian (3-6-0, 0-3-0 NACC) Wednesday at 7 p.m. at Warrior Soccer Field. A live audio broadcast of the match will be available on wlcsports.com.