RIVER FOREST, Ill. - Nick Zupinski (Kenosha, Wis./Shoreland Lutheran) scored three second-half goals and assisted on another to lead the Wisconsin Lutheran College men's soccer team to a 5-1 Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference victory over Concordia Chicago on Wednesday afternoon at Concordia Stadium.
- Final Score: Wisconsin Lutheran 5, Concordia Chicago 1
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (6-5-1, 3-1-1 NACC), Concordia Chicago (4-7-1, 0-4-0 NACC)
- Location: Concordia Stadium, River Forest, Ill. | Attendance: 48
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Nate Wasser (Lake Geneva, Wis./Shoreland Lutheran) put the Warriors on the scoreboard first in the 24th minute after putting back a rebound from a Zupinski saved shot. The score remained 1-0 in favor of WLC through the end of the first half.
- Teffie Joyce (Green Bay, Wis./Fox Valley Lutheran) gave WLC a 2-0 lead in the 49th minute following a rebounded shot from Austin Drake (East Troy, Wis./East Troy).
- Just over a minute later, Zupinski pushed the lead to 3-0 when his header from Ryan Kurth (Pleasant Prairie, Wis./Shoreland Lutheran) made it inside the far post.
- The Cougars avoided the shutout in the 64th when Joey Malme took a cross through the box from Diego Diaz and finished far post.
- Zupinski struck twice again in the 78th and 80th minute for a hat track and the Warriors' final tallies of the match. Kurth added his second assist from a long cross into the box on the team's fourth goal.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Wisconsin Lutheran dominated the shot count, 23-13, and 18-6 in shots on goal.
- Zupinski and Drake each tallied five shots and four on goal, both match-highs.
- Zupinski's hat track ties Drake for a team-high four goals on the season.
- Kurth's two assists propel him to second in the NACC with six.
- Cedric Guichard (Plantation, Fla./American Heritage) made five saves to earn the win in the net for the Warriors.
- Daniel Krajewski and Malme each tallied three shots to lead CUC.
- WLC has received scoring contributions from 10 different players this season. Seven different players have also assisted on goals.
- The Warriors improved to 9-0-1 against the Cougars since the two teams joined the NACC as conference opponents in 2006.
- Wisconsin Lutheran remains on the road Saturday when it faces Benedictine (5-6-0, 2-1-0 NACC) in a 5 p.m. NACC match in Lisle, Ill. Live stats and video will be available for the contest at wlcsports.com. The Eagles play host to Concordia Wisconsin on Wednesday night.