MILWAUKEE (WLCSports.com) – The Wisconsin Lutheran College men's soccer team came up just short in its match-up with conference unbeaten Benedictine 2-1 on Saturday afternoon at Warrior Soccer Field.
- Final Score: Benedictine 2, Wisconsin Lutheran 1
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (8-5-2, 4-2-0 NACC), Benedictine (9-3-1, 5-0-0 NACC)
- Location: Warrior Soccer Field, Milwaukee, Wis. | Attendance: 172
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Eagles jumped out to a 1-0 lead in the 25' when Nick Kapetanos found teammate Erik Stammer who was able to sneak the ball between the Warriors' goalkeeper's legs from six yards out.
- The score remained 1-0 in favor of the Eagles throughout the rest of the half, with Benedictine out-shooting WLC 6-3 and holding the Warriors without a shot on goal.
- The Warriors would even the score at one apiece in the 47' when Isaiah Gronholz (Watertown, Wis./Lakeside Lutheran) found the head of Enrique Arreola (Anna, Ill./Anna-Jonesboro) off of a free kick from 28 yards out. The goal was Arreola's fourth of the season and Gronholz's league-leading eighth assist.
- Benedictine broke a 1-1 tie in the 74' when Aldreiron Smith crossed the ball into the box to teammate Kapetanos whose shot from six yards out deflected off the keeper into the back net to put the Eagles ahead 2-1.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Benedictine out-shot WLC 12-7 during the match with the Eagles holding the Warriors to just two shots on goal.
- Erek Lehnen (Fort Myers, Fla./Southwest Florida Christian) recorded five saves playing all 90:00 minutes in the net for the Warriors. Lehnen now has a league-leading 65 saves on the season.
- Juan Serna (Milwaukee, Wis./St. Anthony) tallied two shots to lead Wisconsin Lutheran.
- Benedictine's Kapetanos tallied a match-high five shots, including four of which were on goal. The goal was his league-leading 17th of the season and he leads the NACC with 37 points.
- The loss was the first for WLC this season at Warrior Soccer Field.
- Benedictine has won three straight over the Warriors and now leads the all-time series 9-4-2.
- The Warriors do not have a midweek match this week but will be back in action next Saturday at 3:30 p.m. when they travel to Aurora (4-6-1, 2-3-0 NACC) for a NACC showdown. The Spartans last fell at MSOE on Wednesday, 2-1. Live stats and video will be available for the match at WLCSports.com.