MILWAUKEE (WLCSports.com) - Wisconsin Lutheran College and Ripon played 110 minutes of scoreless soccer Friday evening, drawing 0-0 in the season opener for both sides at Warriors Soccer Field. Isaiah Gronholz (Watertown, Wis.) and Yussef Sahraoui (South Milwaukee, Wis.) both struck the crossbar as the Warriors failed to find the back of the net in regulation and two overtime periods.
- Final Score: Wisconsin Lutheran 0, Ripon 0 (2 OT)
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (0-0-1), Ripon (0-0-1)
- Location: Warriors Soccer Field, Milwaukee, Wis.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- In the 7' minute, Gronholz struck a ball over the keeper's head that caromed off of the crossbar and led to a Ripon clearance.
- In the 31' minute, senior Marco Perez (Milwaukee, Wis.) was brought down in the box by Ripon goalkeeper Jimmy Amedeo, earning a penalty kick.
- Gronholz stepped up to take the penalty kick and placed it in the bottom left of the goal, where Amedeo dove and stopped the shot.
- In the 34' minute, sophomore keeper Erek Lehnen (Fort Myers, Fla.) made his lone save of the game, stopping a Ripon header that was headed to the back of the net.
- Sahraoui shot from outside the box in the 75' minute, but the ball hit the left corner of the crossbar.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- The Warriors out-shot the Red Hawks 34-1, with six shots on goal to Ripon's one.
- Lehnen recorded one save while playing all 110 minutes in goal.
- Gronholz led the Warriors with seven shots, while Perez registered five.
- Nine different players in the match saw 110 minutes of action.
FOR THE FOES
- Gary Sexon recorded the lone shot for Ripon, nearly scoring a header off of a corner kick.
- Amedeo made six saves in 110 minutes for the Red Hawks.
- The Warriors will host Beloit (0-1-0) Sunday at 1:00 p.m. at Warriors Soccer Field. Wisconsin Lutheran has won two straight over the Bucs, including last season's 2-1 season-opening win in Beloit. Links to live coverage will be available for the matinee match at WLCSports.com.