MILWAUKEE (WLCSports.com) – Luke Harty's (South Milwaukee, Wis.) first career goal proved to be the difference maker as the Wisconsin Lutheran College men's soccer team earned a 3-2 victory over Franklin Saturday afternoon at Warriors Soccer Field in the second game of the 2017 Warrior Cup.
- Final Score: Wisconsin Lutheran 3, Franklin 2
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (3-0-1), Franklin (0-4-0)
- Location: Warriors Soccer Field, Milwaukee, Wis.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Warriors got on the scoreboard first when Juan Serna (Milwaukee, Wis.) found the back of net in the 8' minute off a punch-out from the goalkeeper from a long Warriors' throw-in.
- The Grizzlies answered in the 27' minute with a header from Mason May on a cross from Trey Floyd.
- The score remained tied at 1-1 going into halftime, despite the hosts holding a 9-4 advantage in shots.
- Wisconsin Lutheran wasted little time in the second half to regain the lead when Isaiah Gronholz (Watertown, Wis.) scored his third goal of the season from 12 yards out in the 47' minute.
- Harty added an insurance goal and the eventual game-winner in the 68' minute off a header from Graham Ver Velde (Oostburg, Wis.) to give WLC a 3-1 lead.
- Franklin responded quickly with a goal from Jacob Thompson in the 72' to the low, inside post.
- The Grizzlies' attack put pressure on the Warriors' back line, but WLC maintained the lead to take the 3-2 decision.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Wisconsin Lutheran held the decisive 23-10 advantage in shots, but Franklin had nine shots on goal compared to WLC's seven.
- Gronholz led WLC with five shots, including three on goal.
- Erek Lehnen (Fort Myers, Fla.) recorded five saves in 90 minutes in goal for the Warriors.
- The Warriors improved to 2-0 all-time against the Grizzlies.
FOR THE FOES
- May paced the Grizzlies with three shots and a goal.
- Trevor Byrd made six saves in goal for Franklin.
- The Warriors have a quick turnaround Sunday afternoon for a match against Knox (3-1-1) with a scheduled 1:00 p.m. start. The winner of the match takes home the Warrior Cup. Knox knocked off Franklin, 4-0, Friday night. Links to live stats and video will be available for the contest at WLCSports.com.