Oct 04, 2017
MILWAUKEE (WLCSports.com) – The Wisconsin Lutheran College men's soccer team fell Wednesday night to Concordia Wisconsin in a heartbreaking overtime loss by a final score of 5-4.
- Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 5, Wisconsin Lutheran 4 (OT)
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (5-6-1, 1-3-0 NACC), Concordia Wisconsin (6-2-3, 5-0-0 NACC)
- Location: Warriors Soccer Field, Milwaukee, Wis.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Isaiah Gronholz (Watertown, Wis.) opened the scoring, stealing the ball and taking it down the left side of the field before striking a ball that beat the keeper to the left side of the goal in the 26' minute.
- The Warriors almost doubled their lead in the 30' minute, but a CUW defender cleared a ball off the line that was headed towards the back of the net.
- Colin Dibb tied the game for the Falcons at one goal apiece at the 41:00 mark.
- Ivan Herrera (Milwaukee, Wis.) scored his first collegiate goal in the 52' minute when he took a pass from Graham Ver Velde (Oostburg, Wis.) and beat the goalie.
- Herrera scored again just two minutes later off of a cross from Yussef Sahraoui (South Milwaukee, Wis.) that he volleyed into the back of the net.
- Marco Perez (Milwaukee, Wis.) pushed the Warriors lead to three when he struck a ball that was passed by Jimmy Pierson (Brown Deer, Wis.).
- The Falcons scored two goals in the 71' minute and the 74' minute to cut the WLC lead to just one goal.
- At the 88:37 mark, Christian Tyrpak scored his second goal of the contest to tie the match 4-4 with just 53 seconds remaining.
- Neither team could corral the ball in the last seconds of regulation.
- Just one minute into the overtime period, Zach Gyuricza found the back of the net to win the contest for the Falcons.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Herrera registered two goals and an assist in just 55 minutes of action.
- Perez and Herrera led the Warriors with three shots on goal apiece.
- WLC collected 16 shots in the game, nine of which were on goal.
- Four different Warriors registered assists in the contest.
- Erek Lehnen (Fort Meyers, Fla.) made four saves in goal.
FOR THE FOES
- The Falcons out-shot WLC 23-16 in the match.
- Dibb paced CUW with five shots, and added a goal and an assist.
- Six different Falcons recorded shots on goal.
- Nate Yeager collected four saves in the victory.
- The Warriors travel to face cross-town rival MSOE (7-3-0, 3-1-0 NACC) at Pamela and Hermann Viets Field Saturday at 1:00 p.m. Links to live stats and video will be available on WLCSports.com.