FOND DU LAC, Wis. (WLCSports.com) - Host Marian scored twice in the second half to break a 1-1 halftime draw and hand the Wisconsin Lutheran College men's soccer team a tough 3-1 defeat Wednesday night at Smith Field despite the Warriors controlling much of the match.
- Final Score: Marian 3, Wisconsin Lutheran 1
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (6-9-1, 2-6-0 NACC), Marian (9-7-0, 4-4-0 NACC)
- Location: Smith Field, Fond du Lac, Wis.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Marian's Alonso Fragoso, the NCAA Division III's scoring leader, gave the Sabres an early 1-0 lead in the 3' minute after his 22nd goal of the season beat Warriors keeper Erek Lehnen (Fort Myers, Fla.).
- Zach Grohskopf (Sheboygan, Wis.) evened the score at 1-1 not long after in the 8' minute when he finished a corner kick from Luke Harty (South Milwaukee, Wis.) for his first goal of the season.
- WLC put four other shots on target the remainder of the first half, but the score stood deadlocked at 1-1 at halftime.
- Wisconsin Lutheran out-shot Marian 8-5 in the first half, including 6-2 in shots on target.
- MU broke the 1-1 tie with a goal by Israel Tovar seven minutes into the second half for a 2-1 lead.
- WLC, which played a man up for the final 27:00 minutes of the match, put six shots on frame in the second half, but couldn't find the back of the net.
- Sabres' goalkeeper Ian Chacon saved a Warriors penalty kick attempt by Connor Schodorf (Appleton, Wis.) in the 76' minute to keep the hosts in front.
- Fragoso added an insurance goal for Marian on an 87' minute penalty kick for the 3-1 final.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- The Warriors out-shot the Sabres 18-11 for the match, including 12-6 in shots on target.
- Isaiah Gronholz (Watertown, Wis.) led Wisconsin Lutheran's attack with six shots and three on goal.
- WLC tallied nine corner kicks, compared to just one for Marian.
- Lehnen made three saves in the contest for the Warriors.
FOR THE FOES
- Fragoso, who had five points, collected six of the Sabres' 11 shots for the match and half of the team's shots on target.
- Chacon made 11 saves to preserve the two-goal win for MU.
- Marian won its second straight over Wisconsin Lutheran.
- The Warriors return home for their final two regular season games, beginning Saturday at 1:00 p.m. with a matchup with NACC powerhouse Dominican (10-4-0, 6-2-0 NACC). The Stars suffered their second straight loss Wednesday, falling 1-0 at home to Concordia Chicago.