HILTON HEAD ISLAND, S.C. (WLCSports.com) - The Wisconsin Lutheran College men's tennis team suffered an 8-1 defeat against Thomas (Maine) on Sunday afternoon in its first match of the PTR Spring TennisFest at Hilton Head Island High School.
- Final Score: Thomas 8, Wisconsin Lutheran 1
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (0-11), Thomas (1-1)
- Location: Hilton Head Island High School, Hilton Head Island, S.C.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Warriors dropped a pair of close-knit matches to begin doubles play, as Derek Sallmann (Waukesha, Wis./West) and Jon Wordell (Mequon, Wis./Christian Academy in Japan) fell 8-5, and Ben Wordell (Mequon, Wis./Christian Academy in Japan) and Jake Stellick (Geneva, Ill./Geneva Community) suffered an 8-4 defeat. Thomas won No. 3 doubles by default.
- Sallmann earned his third win of the season at No. 1 singles for the Warriors, defeating the Terriers' Ryan Chasse 6-1, 6-2.
- Ben Wordell dropped a tough three-set match at No. 2 singles, 3-6, 6-2, 1-0 (10-7). Thomas won the remaining four singles matches, including three in straight sets.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- This was the first all-time meeting between Wisconsin Lutheran and Thomas, a member of the North Atlantic Conference.
- Sallmann has recorded half of the Warriors' singles wins this season.
- The Warriors play their second of three matches at the PTR Spring TennisFest on Tuesday, facing Marietta (1-1) at 8:00 a.m. CST at Palmetto Dunes Tennis & Pickleball Center.