HILTON HEAD ISLAND, S.C. (WLCSports.com) - The Wisconsin Lutheran College men's tennis team flirted with its first victory but came up just short at the PTR Spring TennisFest on Tuesday morning by a 5-4 final against Marietta at Palmetto Dunes Tennis & Pickleball Center.
- Final Score: Marietta 5, Wisconsin Lutheran 4
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (0-12), Marietta (2-3)
- Location: Palmetto Dunes Tennis & Pickleball Center, Hilton Head Island, S.C.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Warriors won their opening doubles match as Derek Sallmann (Waukesha, Wis./West) and Ben Wordell (Mequon, Wis./Christian Academy in Japan) collected an 8-4 win. The Warriors No. 2 doubles team of Jon Wordell (Mequon, Wis./Christian Academy in Japan) and Jake Stellick (Geneva, Ill./Geneva Community) came up just short, 9-7. WLC dropped its third doubles match by default.
- Sallmann and Ben Wordell each won their singles matches at No. 1 and No. 2 in straight sets to tie the match up at 3-3. Sallmann was a 6-2, 6-3 winner, while Wordell won 6-0, 6-0.
- Jake Larson (McHenry, Ill./Faith Lutheran) won 6-3, 6-4 at No. 5, but the Pioneers won the remaining matches at No. 3, No. 4, and No. 6 singles.
- Jon Wordell suffered a tough three-set loss at No. 3 singles, 6-4, 1-6, 1-0 (10-8).
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- The Warriors and Pioneers matched-up for the first time in program history.
- Larson won his first singles match of the season in four tries. Sallmann and Ben Wordell also earned their first doubles victory of the year.
- The Warriors conclude their spring break trip at the PTR Spring TennisFest on Wednesday when they face Western New England (2-2) at 1:30 p.m. CST at Palmetto Dunes Tennis & Pickleball Center.