HILTON HEAD ISLAND, S.C. (WLCSports.com) - The Wisconsin Lutheran College men's tennis team concluded its spring break trip at the PTR Spring TennisFest on Wednesday afternoon with a 9-0 defeat against Western New England at Palmetto Dunes Tennis & Pickleball Center.
- Final Score: Western New England 9, Wisconsin Lutheran 0
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (0-13), Western New England (3-2)
- Location: Palmetto Dunes Tennis & Pickleball Center, Hilton Head Island, S.C.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Warriors' No. 1 doubles tandem of Derek Sallmann (Waukesha, Wis./West) and Ben Wordell (Mequon, Wis./Christian Academy in Japan) battled tough but dropped an 8-4 decision in the opening match. The Golden Bears won No. 2 doubles by a score of 8-1 and No. 3 by default.
- Sallmann suffered a tough three-set setback at No. 1 singles by scores 1-6, 6-3, 1-0 (10-7). The Golden Bears won the next five matches in straight sets and the final flight by default.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- The Warriors have played more non-conference matches this year than any other in its 10 years of existence.
- Today's match was the second all-time between WLC and WNEC. The two teams played in 2014 in Orlando, Fla., with the Warriors coming out on top, 6-3.
- The Warriors have off until they open NACC play on Friday, March 31 against MSOE (1-13, 0-0 NACC) at 4:00 p.m. at Elite Sports Club in Brookfield. The Raiders won last year's matchup with Wisconsin Lutheran by a score of 6-3.