AURORA, Ill. (WLCSports.com) - The Wisconsin Lutheran College men's tennis team won its opening matches of singles and doubles play, but came up short on the road against Aurora, 7-2, on Saturday morning in Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference action at Washington Middle School.
- Final Score: Aurora 7, Wisconsin Lutheran 2
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (0-15, 0-2 NACC), Aurora (3-2, 1-0 NACC)
- Location: Washington Middle School, Aurora, Ill.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Warriors opened the match with a win at No. 1 doubles as Derek Sallmann (Waukesha, Wis./West) and Ben Wordell (Mequon, Wis./Christian Academy in Japan) earned an 8-2 win for their second victory of the season.
- The Spartans went on to win the other two doubles matches 8-2 and by default.
- Sallmann also started singles play strong after he defeated his opponent 6-4, 6-3 at No. 1 singles for his fifth win of the year.
- Ben Wordell suffered a hard-fought three-set loss at No. 2 singles 2-6, 6-3, 1-0 (14-12), and Aurora claimed three other singles wins in straight sets and the final by default.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- The Spartans snapped a two-match winning streak by the Warriors, as they lead the all-time series 7-4.
- The Warriors are home next Saturday for two NACC matches against Marian (2-2, 0-0 NACC) and Edgewood (2-12, 0-0 NACC). The first match vs. the Sabres is set to begin at 10:00 a.m. WLC and the Eagles will square off at 2:00 p.m.