NEW BERLIN, Wis. (WLCSports.com) - The Wisconsin Lutheran College men's tennis team earned its first win of the 2017 season on Saturday, defeating Marian 7-2 in Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference action at the Princeton Club. The Warriors were later defeated by Edgewood, 8-1, in their second match of the afternoon.
- Final Scores: Wisconsin Lutheran 7, Marian 2; Edgewood 8, Wisconsin Lutheran 1
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (1-16, 1-3 NACC), Marian (2-4, 0-1 NACC), Edgewood (4-13, 2-0 NACC)
- Location: Princeton Club, New Berlin, Wis.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Warriors opened their match with the Sabres by sweeping all three matches of doubles play. Derek Sallmann (Waukesha, Wis./West) and Ben Wordell (Mequon, Wis./Christian Academy in Japan) were 8-2 winners at No. 1 doubles, Jonathan Wordell (Mequon, Wis./Christian Academy in Japan) and Matt Plaski (Milwaukee, Wis./Wisconsin Lutheran) doubled up their opponents for an 8-4 win at No. 2 doubles, and David Ullerich (Milwaukee, Wis./Martin Luther) and Jake Stellick (Geneva, Ill./Geneva Community) capped doubles play with an 8-6 win at No. 3.
- WLC earned four more wins during singles competition to close out Marian. Sallmann collected a 6-0, 6-1 win at No. 1, Ben Wordell picked up a 6-3, 6-1 win at No. 2, Ullerich hung on for a three-set win (6-4, 3-6, 1-0) at No. 4, and Jake Larson (McHenry, Ill./Faith Lutheran) also claimed another three-set win (6-3, 5-7, 1-0) at No. 6.
- The Warriors' No. 1 team of Sallmann and Ben Wordell won their opening doubles match against Edgewood, 9-7. WLC nearly won at No. 2 doubles, as Jonathan Wordell and Plaski suffered a narrow 9-8 defeat. The Eagles went onto win the remaining doubles flight and all six singles contests in straight sets.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Sallmann won his team-leading sixth singles match of the season, while his doubles partner, Ben Wordell, teamed up for their fourth victory of the year in doubles play.
- The Warriors won their fifth straight match over Marian, after the Sabres had won the first five meetings.
- Edgewood won for the seventh straight time over Wisconsin Lutheran.
- The Warriors are home again next Saturday for matches against Dominican (1-2, 1-1 NACC) and Concordia Chicago (1-6, 1-1 NACC) at the Princeton Club. The first match with the Stars is set to begin at 10:00 a.m.