Apr 07, 2018
MADISON, Wis. (WLCSports.com) - The Wisconsin Lutheran College men's tennis team split a pair of Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference road matches Saturday, edging out Marian, 5-4, before falling to Edgewood, 7-2.
- Final Scores: Wisconsin Lutheran 5, Marian 4; Edgewood 7, Wisconsin Lutheran 2
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (2-13, 2-3 NACC), Marian (0-7, 0-2 NACC), Edgewood (2-10, 1-1 NACC)
- Locations: Sports Core, Kohler, Wis./John Powless Tennis Center, Madison, Wis.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Warriors found themselves trailing 2-1 after doubles play against the Sabres. Jonny Wordell (Mequon, Wis.) and David Ullerich (Milwaukee, Wis.) picked up an 8-3 win at No. 2, but WLC's No. 1 and No. 3 teams both lost by narrow 8-6 margins.
- Wisconsin Lutheran bounced back in singles play by claiming four wins, including two via three-set tiebreakers. Ben Wordell (Mequon, Wis.) earned a 6-7, 7-5, 6-1 win at No. 1 and Jonny Wordell was a 3-6, 6-3, 6-2 winner at No. 2. Matt Plaski (Milwaukee, Wis.) and Grant Fleming (Kaukauna, Wis.) triumphed in straight sets at No. 4 (6-3, 7-5) and No. 6 (6-3, 6-2), respectively. It was the Warriors' sixth straight win over Marian and the first career singles win for Fleming.
- WLC trailed 2-1 through doubles action in its second match of the day vs. the Eagles. Plaski and Fleming teamed up for an 8-6 win at No. 3.
- Edgewood captured the first four flights of singles play before Ullerich won in straight sets, 6-2, 6-0, at No. 5. Four of EC's singles wins came in straight sets, expect for No. 3 where Jeremy Ryno (Grayslake, Ill.) dropped a three-set tiebreaker 1-6, 7-5, 10-4.
- The two matches won by the Warriors were their most against the Eagles since 2014, a span of seven matches.
- The Warriors will next host Lakeland (1-6, 1-1 NACC) Wednesday in their final regular season home conference match. Action is scheduled to get underway at 12:00 p.m. at Elite Sports Club in Brookfield.