KISSIMMEE, Fla. (WLCSports.com) - Abby Mahsem (South Milwaukee, Wis./South Milwaukee) went 2-for-3 and allowed two runs over 6.0 innings in the circle as the Wisconsin Lutheran College softball team defeated Mt. St. Mary 4-2 on Tuesday morning at the Rebel Spring Games. The Warriors were then defeated by Albright in their second game of the morning, 5-1.
- Scores: Wisconsin Lutheran 4, Mt. St. Mary 2; Albright 5, Wisconsin Lutheran 1
- Location: Osceola County Softball Complex, Kissimmee, Fla.
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (2-4), Mt. St. Mary (1-2), Albright (2-2)
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- The Knights strung together three straight two-out singles in the first inning to plate their first run of the game.
- The Warriors scored two unearned runs in their half of the first, highlighted by a RBI double from Taylor Bjork (Horicon, Wis./Horicon).
- Mt. St. Mary evened the score at 2-2 in the second after loading the bases with two outs and posting a run-scoring single.
- After a scoreless third, Wisconsin Lutheran added single tallies in the fourth and fifth with another unearned run and a RBI double by Mahsem for a 4-2 lead.
- Libby Schellpfeffer (Mayville, Wis./Mayville) came on the seventh in relief of Mahsem to earn her second save in as many chances.
- Mahsem, who went 2-for-3 at the dish, tossed 6.0 innings and allowed two runs to pickup her first win of the year.
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- Wisconsin Lutheran took an early 1-0 lead in the first on a RBI groundout by Mahsem that plated Kaitlyn Robison (Andalusia, Ill./Rockridge).
- Starting pitcher Kassie Guerrero (Chicago, Ill./Trinity) cruised through the first 5.0 innings, allowing only two hits and three total runners to reach base.
- The Lions overcame their 1-0 deficit by scoring five runs in the sixth inning on four hits to break the game open. Albright also benefited from a pair of errors by WLC in the frame.
- Guerrero suffered the loss after allowing just two earned runs in 5.1 innings.
- Bjork and Robison each collected two hits to lead the Warriors at the plate.
FOR THE FOES
- A trio of Knights had two hits apiece on the day, as they edged the Warriors 8-7 in hits column. Cindy Connoly gave up four runs, but just one earned, on seven hits in 6.0 innings to suffer the loss.
- Jessica Rodriguez was 2-for-3 with a run scored and Brianne Long drove in two runs for the Lions in game two. Riley Gerenda improved to 2-0 in the circle after allowing just one run on seven hits in 7.0 innings of work.
- The Warriors begin the final stretch of their spring trip tomorrow when they face Cornell College (5-2) and Mt. St. Joseph (5-3) at 10:15 a.m. and 2:45 p.m. at Osceola County Softball Complex.