KISSIMMEE, Fla. (WLCSports.com) - The Wisconsin Lutheran College softball team jumped out to a six-run lead in game two to close their spring break trip with a 9-7 victory over Utica. The Warriors dropped game one of their doubleheader against Loras, 8-5, in nine innings on their last day competing at the Rebel Spring Games.
- Scores: Loras 8, Wisconsin Lutheran 5 (9 Inn.); Wisconsin Lutheran 9, Utica 7
- Location: Osceola County Softball Complex, Kissimmee, Fla.
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (3-7), Loras (6-0), Utica (3-5)
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- Loras jumped out to a lead in the first after a two-out wild pitch allowed a run to score.
- Wisconsin Lutheran tied the game in the second after Davina Gutierrez (Chicago, Ill./Dwight D. Eisenhower) doubled to left to score Brea Johnson (Cumberland, Wis./Cumberland).
- The Duhawks scored twice in the fourth after back-to-back singles to take a 3-1 lead.
- WLC trimmed the lead to one after a fielder's choice in the fourth.
- The Warriors tied the game in the fifth on a squeeze bunt by Rebecca Yniguez (Wildomar, Calif./California Lutheran).
- In the eighth, Loras took the lead on a bunt, but Yniguez tied it again with a bunt of her own in the bottom half.
- The Duhawks scored four runs in the ninth, and WLC scored just once on a fielder's choice to end the game.
- Abby Mahsem (South Milwaukee, Wis./South Milwaukee) led the way with three hits for WLC, while Johnson and Kaitlyn Robison (Andalulsia, Ill./Rockridge) added two hits each.
- Mahsem didn't earn a decision in 5.1 innings of work, allowing three runs. Libby Schellpfeffer (Mayville, Wis./Mayville) suffered the loss in 3.2 innings of relief.
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- Wisconsin Lutheran set the tone early for its final game in Florida. The Warriors plated six runs in the first inning, ignited by a Mahsem single up the middle for a 1-0 lead.
- Schellpfeffer, Paris McCullum (Kokomo, Ind./Kokomo), and Mary Lynn Clausen (Montgomery, Ill./Kaneland) had three straight RBI singles for a 4-0 Warriors advantage.
- Brea Johnson got the sixth run of the inning for WLC on a sac fly.
- The Pioneers plated two runs in the second to cut the lead to 6-2.
- The Warriors scored two more runs on a double from Taylor Bjork (Horicon, Wis./Horicon) and a single from Savanah Frank (Crystal Lake, Ill./Central).
- UC cut the Warriors' lead to 8-5 in the sixth.
- Gutierrez doubled to left to push WLC's lead to 9-5.
- The Pioneers scored two runs in the seventh but stranded the tying run on second base.
- Robison and Gutierrez had three hits to pace the Warriors offense. McCollum, Schellpfeffer, and Mahsem each added two hits.
- Kassie Guerrero (Chicago, Ill./Trinity) recorded the win in 6.0 innings of work, allowing two earned runs.
FOR THE FOES
- Loras had four players record multiple hits. Emma Corkill recorded the win in 4.0 scoreless relief innings.
- In game two, the Pioneers were led by Nicole Rice and Jacqueline Aronin with three hits apiece. Sabrina Strasky suffered the loss, allowing six earned runs in 3.2 innings.
- The Warriors have off until their home opener on Saturday, March 25 when they host Mount Mary (2-8) for a doubleheader. First pitch is scheduled for 12:00 p.m.