VERONA, Wis. (WLCSports.com) – The Wisconsin Lutheran College softball team scored 19 runs over both games of its Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference-opening doubleheader on Sunday against Edgewood at Ceniti Park. The Warriors won both games over the Eagles by scores of 9-1 and 10-1 to start 2-0 in league play for the second straight season.
- Scores: Wisconsin Lutheran 9, Edgewood 1; Wisconsin Lutheran 10, Edgewood 1
- Location: Ceniti Park, Verona, Wis.
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (5-9, 2-0 NACC), Edgewood (2-16, 0-4 NACC)
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- After a scoreless pair of opening frames to begin game one, the Warriors erupted for five runs in the third inning.
- Karah Ritacco (Chicago, Ill./Trinity) doubled to left field, bringing Kaitlyn Robison (Andalusia, Ill./Rockridge) in for the first run of the game. Abby Mahsem (South Milwaukee, Wis./South Milwaukee) and Ritacco scored unearned runs after an Edgewood error.
- Ellen Davis (Greendale, Wis./Greendale) capped the five-run frame with a two-run double that brought in Paris McCullum (Kokomo Ind./Kokomo) and Taylor Bjork (Horicon, Wis./Horicon).
- Savanah Frank (Crystal Lake, Ill./Central) smashed a two-run home run to left center, adding two more runs for the Warriors in the fifth inning for a 7-0 lead.
- The final two runs for the Warriors came in the seventh when Davis singled to right field, bringing in McCullum. Sydney Horton (Crestwood, Ill./Alan B. Shepard) sacrificed to bring Kylie Larsen (Lake Stevens, Wash./Lake Stevens) in for the Warriors' final run of the game.
- The Warriors held off Edgewood until the seventh inning, when the Eagles collected their only run from a Warriors fielding error.
- Mahsem improved to 2-0 in the circle after pitching all 7.0 innings and scattering six hits, while fanning six. Robison led the Warriors at the plate with three hits and Davis added three RBI.
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- It didn't take long for the Warriors to break the nightcap open, as they scored eight times in the second inning.
- McCullum and Rebecca Yniguez (Wildomar, Calif./California Lutheran) drew back-to-back walks and a single from Frank to left brought them in for the first two runs. Frank later scored on an Eagles' throwing error.
- A bunt single from Robison scored Abby Akright (Dunlap, Ill./Dunlap) for a 4-0 lead. After two other runners reached to load the bases, Bjork cleared them with a three-run double. A single from Yniguez down the left field line brought in Bjork for the Warriors' final run of the inning.
- The Warriors broke their three-inning scoreless streak in the sixth when McCullum's sac fly scored Ritacco and Melissa Ericson (Lisle, Ill./Lisle) scored on a wild pitch.
- Edgewood's only run came from a Warriors throwing error in the fifth.
- Bjork earned the victory for the Warriors after allowing just two hits and one unearned run in 6.0 innings. She was also one of three players to record two hits, while driving in three runs of her own.
FOR THE FOES
- Six different Eagles recorded a hit in the opener. Shannon Whitmus pitched a complete game and struck out four while allowing nine runs, but just five earned.
- Starter Grace Delleman worked 5.2 innings and allowed 11 hits and just two earned runs in game two.
- The Warriors travel to Rockford (3-13, 0-2 NACC) tomorrow for a 3:00 p.m. NACC doubleheader, which was originally scheduled for Saturday. Links to live stats will be available for both games at WLCSports.com.