ROCKFORD, Ill. (WLCSports.com) - The Wisconsin Lutheran College softball team is off to its first 4-0 start in the NACC after shutting out Rockford over both games of its doubleheader sweep on Friday afternoon at Smith Athletic Field. The Warriors won the opener, 4-0, before winning the nightcap in 6.0 innings, 8-0.
- Scores: Wisconsin Lutheran 4, Rockford 0; Wisconsin Lutheran 8, Rockford 0
- Location: Smith Athletic Field, Rockford, Ill.
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (7-9, 4-0 NACC), Rockford (3-15, 0-4 NACC)
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- Neither team could muster much offense throughout the first 6.0 innings. The Warriors had three runners reach scoring position in three different frames, but couldn't plate a run across as the game remained scoreless.
- Wisconsin Lutheran's offense awakened in the seventh, as it tallied four runs with two outs on five hits. The Warriors' first run came from an error by Rockford's second baseman, scoring Ellen Davis (Greendale, Wis./Greendale). Abby Mahsem (South Milwaukee, Wis./South Milwaukee) followed with a two-run double, platting Karah Ritacco (Chicago, Ill./Trinity) and Kaitlyn Robison (Andalusia, Ill./Rockridge). Taylor Bjork (Horicon, Wis./Horicon) concluded the scoring for WLC with a RBI single that scored Mahsem.
- Mahsem improved to 3-0 on the season in the circle after tossing her second straight complete game. She struckout eight and allowed just four hits.
- Robison, Mahsem, Bjork, and Davis each collected two hits for the Warriors. Mahsem also drove in two runs and scored once.
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- Following two scoreless innings to open the nightcap, the Warriors struck for four two-out runs on four hits in the third inning. Ritacco started the scoring with a RBI single that scored Abby Akright (Dunlap, Ill./Dunlap). Mahsem immediately followed with another two-run double, plating Ritacco and Robison. Rebecca Yniguez (Wildomar, Calif./California Lutheran) capped the third-inning frame with a RBI single that plated Mahsem.
- Wisconsin Lutheran added another four runs in the sixth inning on RBI hits from Akright, Ritacco, and Mahsem.
- WLC ended the game after 6.0 innings after retiring the Regents without a score in their final at-bats.
- Bjork won her third game in the circle after shutting out Rockford while scattering five hits.
- Ritacco went 2-for-4 with three RBI and a run scored for the Warriors, while Mahsem drove in three and also scored a run.
FOR THE FOES
- The Regents' four hits came from four different players in game one. Stefaney Kenworthy gave up four runs on 10 hits in the circle.
- Kenworthy went 2-for-3 to lead the Regents at the plate in the nightcap. Abigail Wellwood allowed eight runs on seven hits to suffer the loss.
- The Warriors continue their busy stretch of 12 games in seven days tomorrow when they travel to MSOE (15-5, 4-0 NACC) for a 12:00 p.m. NACC doubleheader at MSOE Athletic Field. WLC and MSOE split a pair of one-run games a season ago. Links to live stats will be available for both games at WLCSports.com.