MILWAUKEE (WLCSports.com) - The Wisconsin Lutheran College softball team suffered its first two losses in NACC play on Saturday, as the Warriors were swept by cross-town conference foe MSOE by scores of 1-0 in 13 innings and 8-6 in the nightcap at MSOE Athletic Field.
- Scores: MSOE 1, Wisconsin Lutheran 0; MSOE 8, Wisconsin Lutheran 6
- Location: MSOE Athletic Field, Milwaukee, Wis.
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (7-11, 4-2 NACC), MSOE (17-5, 6-0 NACC)
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- Neither team could muster much offense throughout the game, as the Warriors were held hitless for the first three innings of play.
- Both teams had a golden opportunity in each half of the fourth but left runners at second and third.
- Wisconsin Lutheran placed the go-ahead run on third base in the eighth and ninth innings but could not squeeze a run across.
- In the 12th inning, WLC had bases loaded and just one out, but a strikeout and groundout got the Raiders out of the jam.
- After a Raiders single and stolen base in the 13th, the hosts walked off on a single to left from Gabi Roderman to end the marathon game.
- Abby Mahsem (South Milwaukee, Wis./South Milwaukee) suffered the hard-luck loss despite 12.2 innings of stellar work in the circle.
- Taylor Bjork (Horicon, Wis./Horicon) paced the Warriors offense with three hits in game one.
- WLC and MSOE played a 15-inning game nearly a year ago to this date.
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- Following two scoreless innings to open the nightcap, the Warriors got on the board for the first time in the third with a RBI single from Mahsem and an error on the play to give WLC a 2-0 lead.
- Wisconsin Lutheran added another run in the fourth with a RBI single from Abby Akright (Dunlap, Ill./Dunlap) to score Rebecca Ynigeuz (Wildomar, Calif./California Lutheran).
- MSOE cut into the lead with a run in the fourth, but fifth-inning doubles from Yniguez and Paris McCullum (Kokomo, Ind./Kokomo) increased the Warriors' lead to 6-1.
- The Raiders exploded for seven runs on five hits in the sixth to take a come-from-behind lead of 8-6.
- Bjork did not receive a decision after 5.1 innings in the circle, allowing five earned runs.
- Yniguez, McCullum, and Kaitlyn Robison (Andalusia, Ill./Rockridge) paced the offense with two hits each in the second game.
FOR THE FOES
- Shannon Curtis earned her 10th win of the year in 13.0 innings of scoreless work in the circle. Roderman and Amanda Menssen each recorded two hits in game one.
- Caitlyn Moran earned her second win in the circle in 2.1 innings of relief for the Raiders in game two. Kiersti Davis recorded two hits for MSOE.
- The Warriors return to NACC action on Sunday afternoon for their home-opening doubleheader against Alverno (7-15, 0-6 NACC). First pitch is scheduled for Noon at Neumann Family Field. WLC and the Inferno split their twinbill a season ago.