PLATTEVILLE, Wis. (WLCSports.com) - The Wisconsin Lutheran College softball team overcame a four-run deficit and Ellen Davis (Greendale, Wis./Greendale) drove in the game-winning run in the eighth inning to lead the Warriors to a thrilling 10-9 win over UW-Platteville in game one on Thursday. The Pioneers claimed a 4-2 win over WLC in game two for the non-conference split.
- Scores: Wisconsin Lutheran 10, UW-Platteville 9 (8 Inn.), UW-Platteville 4, Wisconsin Lutheran 2
- Location: UW-Platteville Softball Complex, Platteville, Wis.
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (10-20), UW-Platteville (8-22)
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- The Warriors jumped on the Pioneers early in the first inning for five runs on four hits. Four players also swiped bases in the inning. Kaitlyn Robison (Andalusia, Ill./Rockridge) scored on Davis' fielder's choice, Taylor Bjork (Horicon, Wis./Horicon) cleared the bases with a three-run double, and Abby Mahsem (South Milwaukee, Wis./South Milwaukee) followed with a RBI single for a 5-0 lead.
- The Pioneers got three runs back in their first at-bats on a two-run double and RBI single for a 5-3 score after one.
- Platteville evened the score at 5-5 in the third with a two-RBI single and struck for four runs in the fourth on a two-run double, wild pitch, and RBI single.
- Wisconsin Lutheran plated four runs in the fifth to knot the game at 9-9. Bjork doubled to center field scoring Davis, Mahsem drove in Kylie Larsen (Lake Stevens, Wash./Lake Stevens) with a RBI single, and Savanah Frank (Crystal Lake, Ill./Central) belted a two-run home run, her second of the season, to even the score.
- After two scoreless innings, Davis' RBI single scored Karah Ritacco (Chicago, Ill./Trinity), who leadoff the inning with a double and gave WLC the 10-9 lead.
- The Warriors escaped a bases-loaded jam with nobody out in the bottom of the eighth, cutting down a runner at home on a fielder's choice and turning a line drive double-play to end the game.
- Bjork went 3-for-5 with four RBI and a run scored for Wisconsin Lutheran, which had 14 hits in the game. Mahsem picked up the win in 5.0 innings of relief, striking out six.
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- Platteville posted a run on two hits with a RBI double in the first for a 1-0 lead in the nightcap.
- After leaving five runners on base in each of the first two innings, Wisconsin Lutheran finally struck for a run in the third on a Bjork RBI single that scored Davis, who leadoff with a triple.
- The Pioneers broke the tie game in the fourth with a three-run frame on a two-run home run and RBI triple.
- The contest remained 4-2 until the seventh when the Warriors threatened to tie or take the lead. After placing two on with one out, Mahsem doubled to left scoring Davis. UWP then set down the next two WLC batters looking and the game ended with runners on second and third.
- Davis was 4-for-4 with two runs scored in the nightcap for the Warriors, who had 11 hits but left 11 runners on base. Kassie Guerrero (Chicago, Ill./Trinity) suffered the loss for WLC in 3.1 innings of work.
FOR THE FOES
- Jessy Tanel was 2-for-3 with two runs scored and was one of four Pioneers with two hits in game one. Jess Butzen pitched the final 3.2 innings of relief and was dealt the loss after giving up one run on five hits.
- Tanel once again led the Pioneers at the plate in game two, going 2-for-3 with a run scored. Butzen hurled a complete game in the nightcap, scattering 11 hits while striking out seven.
- The Warriors are back in action on Sunday when they host Concordia Chicago (18-12, 8-6 NACC) for Senior Day in a 12:00 p.m. NACC doubleheader at Neumann Family Field. The Cougars, who have won five straight, split their doubleheader with WLC a season ago in Illinois.